Aa
A
A
A
Close
Liver Transplant Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

Need some Hep B Clarity.

If a person has tested negative for Hep B, but also has been vaccinated for it (i.e.have gotten all 3 vaccine shots), and...but this person has multiple sex partners and one of these partners has chronic HepB but that he says he has Protected sex with, can he still be a passer of this illness (disease)?  

I say yes to this, and this is what I have told to one of my close friends as I understand it and I told my good friend about this site and to ask it here herself, but she has yet to check this site it out and ask this (sigh).  I/we really need some clarity on her situation so I am asking myself and hope for an informative response. I really care about her, she's been my friend for a long time and I want to steer her in the right direction so please if a doctor can give his/her expertise and some clarity, I dunno, maybe my understanding is wrong as I also told her that she can get Hep B from him even if he has protected sex w/his infected partner and pass it onto her if she has not had all 3 vaccination shots for hep B herself (she says she's had one shot taken so far), but I told her she needs all 3 to be fully protected and until then he can till infect her whether he has tested negative and been vaccinated or not...was I correct to tell her this?  and if I was correct that means she should not have unprotected sex with him until she has all 3 shots herself?) Please Help shed some light here.
Thank you and sorry for the long explanation.
1 Responses
517301 tn?1229797785
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
one needs to receive all 3 portions of the HBV vaccination series to be adequately protected with an antibody response.  If 1 portion is missed then the series needs to be restarted again.  you can check a surface antibody level and if its (+) she is protected.  If its (-), the series should be repeated.  the sexual partner should have the surface antibody level checked also.
Popular Resources
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.