Aa
A
A
A
Close
Liver Transplant Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

PSC and PBS

My mother-in-law had a liver transplant 20 years ago due to Primary Biliary Cirrhosis.  My 22 year old son, her grandson, was just diagnosed with Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis. Having two people in one family, both needing liver transplants, it would seem there has to be a genetic factor involved.  I know the two disease are different, but they do seem somewhat similar in the destruction of the bile ducts.  Is this just a strange quirk of nature in our family or could this be related to genetics?
1 Responses
517301 tn?1229801385
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
this is probably just a coincidence but both liver diseases do have associations with other autoimmune conditions so there may be some genetic predisposition regarding the immune system.
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.