Liver Transplant Forum

PSC and PBS

My mother-in-law had a liver transplant 20 years ago due to Primary Biliary Cirrhosis.  My 22 year old son, her grandson, was just diagnosed with Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis. Having two people in one family, both needing liver transplants, it would seem there has to be a genetic factor involved.  I know the two disease are different, but they do seem somewhat similar in the destruction of the bile ducts.  Is this just a strange quirk of nature in our family or could this be related to genetics?
this is probably just a coincidence but both liver diseases do have associations with other autoimmune conditions so there may be some genetic predisposition regarding the immune system.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.