Liver Transplant Forum

high bilirubin

MY MELD IS 17.MY CHILD-PUGH IS 10.I HAVE LIVER CIRRHOSIS.IN THE LAST 4 WEEKS MY BILIRUBIN HAS RISEN FROM 20 % ABOVE THE ACCEPTED LIMIT,TO 240% ABOVE.WHAT DO YOU THINK COULD HAVE CAUSED THIS? NOW GETTING VOMITING PROBLEMS.THANKS.
i sincerely hope that you get transplanted soon.  the presence of SBP is a bad sign for futher problems.  if you do not feel well for any reason please seek medical attention ASAP.  good luck.
many things could have caused it--renal dysfunction, infection, pancreatitis, hemolytic anemia, dehydration or cancer.  have they found the cause--i am concerned
RE MY HIGH BILIRUBBIN-I WAS HOSPITALISED AND THEY FOUND BACTERIAL INFECTION IN ASCITES,AND I SPENT 3 DAYS ON HIGH DOSEAGE IV ANTIBIOTICS.ALSO DISCOVERED I HAD HEPATIC ENCEPHALOPATHY GR 1.MY CHILD PUGH IS NOW 12 AND I HAVE BEEN TOLD I AM LIKELY TO BE TRANSPLANTED WITHIN WEEKS.
i am glad that you are now doing better.  You need a transplant ASAP as the presence of the infection is a foreboding sign.  please seek the consul of a doc ASAP if you are not feeling well.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.