Aa
A
A
A
Close
Liver Transplant Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

transplant for past alcohol usage

I used to drink but have not in 8+ months. I’m 43 and have a high MELD of 31 and the doctors say I will most likely need a transplant soon. I hear there is a “waiting period” for people who have alcoholic liver disease to get listed. My question is even though my labs etc. will show my past alcohol usage will I have to wait to be listed? How do I prove I am not drinking and haven’t in months? I'm a changed person and I read more and more it’s important to get transplanted while still “healthy”.  I am jaundiced and have ascites. INR 3.7 - Bili - 13 Creatine .8 . Is it safe to wait or should I look elsewhere? If they require a rehab program what if I get worse during? Thank you.  
1 Responses
517301 tn?1229801385
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
it varies from program to program.  Most require a finite period of sobriety which you have achieved.  With this much sobriety its unlikely that your liver function will improve appreciably.  I think you should proceed with transplantation
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.