Lung Cancer Community

Cancer?

chest ct scan show 1.2cm x 1.3 cm soft tissue nodule, in lower right lung. Scheduled for Pet scan thursday.  Is this cancerous? Doctor said 50/50 plus add some for my years of smoking. What else could it be? anybody

The odds of a lung nodule being malignant has a very wide range, the numbers may fall along 10 to 70%, other reports estimate it at 30-40%.

Size is one indicator, those that are less than 1.5 cm tend to be lower risk. Other features would be the shape, the smoothness of the borders, the presence or absence of calcium.

The smoking history raises the risk for cancer, if the smoking history was non-existent, based on size alone, the biopsy may be deferred in favor of observation.

Aside from malignant nodules (cancer), there are benign nodules. These may arise from prior infections or slow growing infections. Others may simply be normal tissue erratically growing within the lung, causing no more than an indiscernible reduction in lung capacity. Still others may be due to abnormal deposits (like amyloid) with the body reacting against it, effectively containing the injured area.
I just got a copy of my ct scan report. there are a bunch of things on it. any of them of concern? splenic cyst.  indeterminat nodule in the left adrenal gland My CA 125 in 2002 was 9 In 2008 8.5.  they gave me a CEA my range was 6.5  my test score 8. Anything to worry about with these.

The blood tests you mentioned are not really able to diagnose diseases on their own, but are generally more useful to monitor for recurrences for those patients with known disease. Occasionally, they may be helpful if the results are very high, but this is not so in your case.
The adrenal gland has a high propensity for having benign cysts, so the reading of indeterminate is not surprising.
The next step in this case may be to simply observe and repeat the scans in a few months or to have a PET scan done. The merits of either method whether one approach is indeed superior depends largely on the estimated risks of each individual case (put another way, there is no single diagnostic algorithm to address each patient). Discuss the next steps with your doctor and raise your anxieties then come up with an acceptable plan for you. Stay positive.
PET scan is scheduled for tomorrow.   I am also BRCA I positive. I worry about the effects of all these test on that.

I understand the theoretical risk of the radiation on the breast, and your predisposition to cancer.

The BrCA status is more likely the biggest risk. The repeated scans would not double the risk conferred by the BrCA status, but would likely increase it to as much as 1.6x. For example, if you are more than 60 years old, you would be 15x more likely to get breast cancer than the average woman due to the BrCA status. If you have repeated scans, the risk could be as much as 24x. If we assume the average woman has a risk of 1 in a 1000 or 0.001, your risk changes from 0.015 to 0.024.

The more critical radiation involves radiation as therapy such as for patients with lymphoma. In this case, the risk can increase 5.2x. So your risk would change from 0.015 to 0.078.

These are all estimates of course, not fearless predictions. The important thing is to stay the course, ask questions, if it doesn’t make any sense to you, you are unlikely to benefit from all the work-up.

Stay positive.
I went for PET Scan thursday, both drs. on vacation so no one would give results to me. Saturday, I received a 2 phone calls 1 from hospital number one from drs office. I missed both of the calls. I returned the calls no one was there. Hospital couldn't trace what number it was called from. Drs office said no one was in. Is it odd that the dr would call me on saturday while he was on vacation? I didn't even have the test done at the hospital so I figured both calls were from him.  Would they call on Saturday with bad news?
Here are 15 ways to help prevent lung cancer.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
How your health improves once you quit.