Aa
A
A
A
Close
Lung Cancer Community
1.43k Members

Hilar mass---? PET CT guided FNACi

I am 51 yrs old prior history of kidney malig, post R nephrectomy 2003 and resected solitary lung  metastatic nodule Feb 2007 .
Am well  with slight dry cough , recently noted PET CT  positive  PET  avid  L hilar mass ( SUV 5.4 ) near the old nodule removal surgery staple site .
No History of smoking .

I live in India which is a high TB prone area . I have no fever , no sputum  mild dry cough only .

Have been suggested a CT guided FNAC . Is this a feasible procedure and safe for a hilar region  and will there be adequate yield for diagnosis . Who does this procedure ---Thoracic surgeon ? Radiologist or Pulmonologist  or should I go for Trans bronchial Biopsy ???

Any suggestions ?? Thank You
1 Responses
Hi,

The feasibility of the FNA would depend on the proximity of the nodule to either the chest wall or to a large airway. If it is near the chest wall, the needle would puncture through the chest and this could be done with either a CT or an ultrasound guide. The persons who perform this may be the pulmonologist, in other places an interventional radiologist. If the nodule is nearer a large airway then it can be approached via bronchoscopy, the transbronchial biopsy could be the better option (this would usually be done by the pulmonologist).
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are 15 ways to help prevent lung cancer.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
How your health improves once you quit.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.