Lung Cancer Community

Pain in Chest, Back, Left shoulder, Wrist and Pinky Pancoast tumor

Over a year ago I noticed a dull pain in my left wrist. A little while later for no reason I began to develop pain in my left shoulder. This would become more noticable when I was trying to sleep. It would get so bad I would ask my nephews to step on the shoulder while I laid on my back. As of now the pain is still there but not as bad. My left arm is noticabley weaker then my right and I compensate by using my right as much as I can. A few months ago I developed a small lump in the joint in my left pinky the one closest to my palm. It is very painfull when touched and pressure is applied. My left wrist is noticably skinnier then my right wrist now. I have also been experiencing tingling sensations in my left ear that come and go. For a few years now I have had discomfort in the left side of my chest. Recently there has been pain and discomfort in the left side of my back directly behind the pain in the front. There is also a noticable amount of pertrusion from the left side of my chest then compared to my right. The bone in the left side of my chest next to the sternum sticks out. All these things from what I have gathered are related to a Pancoast tumor. I have smoked since I was in college so it's been about 6-7 years. I am 25 now. I am scared and am finally getting a chest x-ray in a week I don't know what to do. I am convinced it is what I have been researching. If anyone has any input I would appreciate it.
Hi there. Your symptoms do resemble those of pancoast’s tumor, tumor that forms at the apex of either lung in the superior sulcus and may invade the adjoining tissue due to location. They form an abnormalpatch of tissue over the lung apex and invade lymphatics, lower 4 cervical andfirst thoracic root of brachial plexus, intercoastal nerves, stellate ganglion, sympathetic chain and adjacent ribs and vertebrae. The main culprit is smoking, symptoms being pain in shoulder, inner part of scapula, inner side of arm, elbow,pinky and ring fingers. The pain is severe and hand, arm, forearm may atrophy or develop paresthesia, tingling. You need a chest xray chest, better a CT/MRI chest to check the tumor and local spread. Brochoscopy, biopsy will aid in confirming the diagnosis. Treatment may involve surgery, chemo and radiotherapy. Hope this helps. Take care.

Here are 15 ways to help prevent lung cancer.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
How your health improves once you quit.