Lung Cancer Community

What does HTN, CAD stand for?

My mother passed away of lung cancer recently. There are some terms on her death certificate that I don't know the meaning of. On OTHER SIGNIFICANT CONDITIONS-- contributing to death Hx: Atrial Fib, HTN, CAD, GI Bleed.

I understand Atrial Fib. Please could you give me any information on HTN, CAD, and GI Bleed. Thank you for any information you can give.

Thank you,

Linda

My condolences on your loss. I hope this information helps clear things up.

HTN probably means hypertension. Most cases of hypertension occur independent of lung cancer. So this condition probably required some medications on its own and its impact on the cancer would be on the selection of appropriate cancer therapy.

CAD probably means coronary artery disease. The coronaries are the blood vessels that supply the muscles of the heart. Coronary artery disease is usually due to deposits of cholesterol that narrow the vessels and hence may provide less blood. A heart attack is a sudden blockade of one of the coronaries. This also likely developed independent of the cancer, and impacts in the same way as the hypertension. Smoking is a shared risk factor for the development of lung cancer and CAD.

GI bleed refers to gastrointestinal bleed. This may mean bleeding from the tract anywhere from the throat to the anus. The site of the bleeding can usually be delineated from symptoms. If stool is frank blood, then the source of bleeding is probably in the large intestines, if it is black the bleeding probably comes from the stomach. This condition may arise independent from the lung cancer. Some patients who underwent a pretty stormy course, may develop stress ulcers in the stomach – and these may bleed.
Here are 15 ways to help prevent lung cancer.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
How your health improves once you quit.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.