What's the recovery like?

Hi, I'm new to this forum. My mom was just diagnosed with lung cancer yesterday, and the doctors say she will need surgery to have a third of her lung removed, midsection. They also say the prognosis looks good, like it may be a slow-growing tumor that is still encapsulated in the lung. So hopefully surgery will remove everything and this cancer hasn't spread.
I'm wondering if anyone here has gone through this surgery? What did it involve--did the sternum need to be broken to get to the lung? How long did it take for you to recover to the point where you could get back to your normal way of life?
Sorry that I haven't had a chance to much research this on my own yet. I'm still trying to get past the initial shock of the news, and I'm a bit in a daze. She's had colon cancer seven years ago, and I was hoping this would be news I'd never have to hear again.
I just want to know what I can do for her to help her recovery time be peaceful, comfortable, and quick.
Thanks.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I had the lower section of my lung removed in July '08 and I'm still on the road to recovery.  They go through the ribs to get to the lung and unfortunately they had to remove a rib on me and that seems to take forever to heal.  I also had to have chemo and radiation therapy so I'm just getting over that treatment.  Seven months of uncertainty but I managed to still work now and then. The hardest part was sleeping after the surgery.  I had to lie on my back but could only sleep a little while at a time as it would start hurting.  My nerves, I've come to figure out, were causing a lot of my insomnia but I'm doing better now.  Best of luck to your mom and to you.  
Helpful - 0
Thank you so much for sharing your experience! I was beginning to give up hope on getting a response from anyone before she had the surgery next week.
I hope the remainder of your recovery goes quickly, with as little pain as possible. I pray that you will have good news reports for any follow-up appointements you have in the future.
Again, thank you for responding.
God bless.
Helpful - 0
My Mom has had a lobe of each lung removed because of cancer.  The left lung was the worst.  She still (after  14 mos) has some pain from the nerve damage done by the surgery.  Docs say it may never cease but we are hopeful.  It is worth it to get rid of the terribly diseased tissue.  Just let her know you love her and be there for her.  Hope all is going well...GOD BLESS
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Lung Cancer Community

Here are 15 ways to help prevent lung cancer.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
How your health improves once you quit.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.