how?

just had confirmed for sure today lung cancer and 2 bone mets rib and hip both same side but opposite where lung tumour is, now they say they are scheduling biopsy hopefully this week for course of treatment if any is this hopeless? i can not believe that she is so healthy, blood work all okay up till this shock was fully active, excersicing fabulous looking 63 year old mom who was now given a death sentence how does this happen? she went for yearly check ups, mamograms, colonoscopy , scoping of the throat xrays for her pain in her knee and rib now they say the rib is cancer and to top it all off was sent to a rheumatologist who told her it was fibromyalgia.....what the heck happened?....i am so angry i am a religious person but my god!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest

It seems that you are still waiting for the biopsy. That would confirm if it is really cancer. Your anger and disappointment is a natural response to what had happened. I hope the experience would not unduly make you think that all subsequent encounters with doctors would lead to such outcomes.

If this really is lung cancer, there is currently no method to detect it early in the same way as the mammogram and the pap smear have changed detection rates for breast and cervical cancer. There is work ongoing particularly with low dose CT scan, but the current evidence cannot support its routine use for a screening indication.  I understand that this information may come as a cold comfort, but that is the way things stand today – there is a lot of work to be done. Hence, a person who is pretty healthy and doesn’t smoke would not be suspected of harboring lung cancer, and may this be worked up with more common illnesses like fibromyalgia.

I hope that things would sail smoother in terms of getting at the diagnosis and then deciding on what next to do.
Helpful - 0
what i would like to really know is there any treatment at all that could prolong her life at least beyond the 4 months that is says all over the net once it has gone to bone from lung...........angie
Helpful - 0

The figures you are looking at (the 4 to 6 month estimates) are for those without treatment, for patients in general. This is a median, meaning 50% reach this duration and the other 50% does not. This does not mean that 100% of cases are expected to die within 4 months. If your mom is pretty active, she would likely be among the better 50%.

Chemotherapy can prolong survival especially among patients who start out fairly fit. Current standard of care approaches an average of 9 to 10 months or so. This means with treatment, there is a 50% chance of reaching the 9th, 10th month. The one year survival rate with chemo would be about 30%.
Helpful - 0
WHY IS THIS SO BAD, HOW CAN SHE HAVE NO SYMPTOMS, NOT NEED ANY PAIN MEDICATIONS AND BE DEAD IN UNDER A YEAR  HAVE YOU HEARD OF RF ABLATION WILL THAT EXTEND LIFE? 9 OR 10 MONTHS IS THE BEST WE CAN LOOK AT? I SO SO SO APPRECIATE OUR HELP OUR DOCTORS HERE DELIVER THE NEWS AND WALK OUT AND BECAUSE MY MOM IS SO IN SHOCK AND CRYING IF WE TRY AND ASK HE JUST LEAVES AND SAYS HE HAS ANOTHER PATIENT.......IF YOU ARE A BELEIVER PLEASE PRAY MY MOMS NAME IS MARIA
Helpful - 0

Nine months is not the best outcome for the case. Nine months is the median. This means that 50% of similar cases go beyond this mark.  I think your mom, has a good shot of making it beyond this mark.

Ablation therapies have been done using radiation. However, this would be for cases without dissemination, as there is a limit how much radiation a human body can safely receive.

The fact that she has no symptoms attributable to the disease is a good thing. In the past, such patients would not be offered to undergo treatment, but would be considered for treatment if the symptoms start to appear. This strategy though while logical, showed no gains in survival (from the time that diagnosis was made, not the time when the treatment was started). If patients start treatment while they were more active, then better gains in survival was achieved. The reason I mention this is that, I feel that there is still some element of denial, and you may consider delaying treatment.
Helpful - 0
thank you , i a fully understand the diagnosis and becasue she is feeling good now i want treatment asap because i feel she is strong, what do they use, also a new twist there is a tiny chance they said it could be a reoccurance form her eye melanoma 16v years ago so then if it is not primary lung but mets from melanoma is that better or worse?...thank you again you have no idea what a help you have been.....angie
Helpful - 0

Recurrence from the melanoma is possible though it isn’t probable. There are ways of finding out by examining the biopsy, looking for characteristics of melanoma in the tissue sampled. This may take special staining dyes, and would need a fair amount of tissue sample. For lung specimens which are usually obtained through a needle – the amount of tissue may be insufficient to perform such testing.

Whether it is better or worse is difficult to say. The lung cancer may be worse in some way, because it tends to progress faster than the melanoma. On the other hand, the lung cancer also has more treatment options and larger gains with such treatment options over melanoma. Melanoma chemotherapy options are few, and the gains are smaller compared with other cancers. A general “one is definitely better” assessment would be hard to call at this point.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Lung Cancer Community

Here are 15 ways to help prevent lung cancer.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
How your health improves once you quit.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.