Lung Cancer Community

subpleural nodule and back pain

I've had mid back discomfort on and off the last 6 years.  It's been diagnozed so far a back strain.  I'm also post thymectomy (6 years) with history of myasthenia gravis. My 2000 CT Scan showed "evaluation of the lung parenchyma demonstrates a 1mm subpleural nodular density in the right upper lobe with an adjacent linear component, most compatible with a small scar."  Everything else was normal.  My current (2007) CT Scan showed: "Stable 3mm subpleural nodule seen in the right upper lobe anteriorly and laterally.  Remainder of lungs clear. Impression: No acute findings.  "Everything else is unremarkable.
Can you please explain subpleural nodule and the use of the word stable in this report?  Also, over 7 years is it normal for a nodule to increase in size from 1 to 3mm?

As the CT scan report says the lesion is 'stable' would mean a non progressive lesion usually used to denote a benign lesion. It is not a significant increase in size if the lesion has gone from 1 to 3 mm in 7 years. What is advisable is that a PET scan be discussed with your physician, so that the possibility, even if remote of a malignant lesion can be ruled out. Also, in consultation with your physician an yearly CT scan would be advisable to keep a record on the progrees in size of the nodule.
Here are 15 ways to help prevent lung cancer.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
How your health improves once you quit.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.