1:320 positive homogeneous ANA result

My 16 year old daughter went to the doctor for evaluation of chronic canker sores in her mouth and many labs were drawn.  She came back with a 1:320 positive homogeneous ANA and normal CRP, B12 as well as thyroid and other labs.

At the same time, she was found to have an acute flare up of her chronic tonsillitis.  She has now had the tonsils removed 3 weeks ago.

The doctor suggested waiting a month or so to see what the ANA looks like.  Does anyone have experience with acute/chronic tonsillitis and what the contribution may be to the 1:320 ANA level?

Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Does your daughter have fatigue or joint pain.....face rash?????
Helpful - 0
No she has not had any other issues such as fatigue, joint pain, facial rash, photosensitivity or others.  She is very active without complaint and plays on a travel soccer team.  The only issue that caused us to take her to the doctor was persistent canker sores in the mouth usually on the inner lip area that are very painful.
Helpful - 0
I am no expert but I would think without symptoms lupus isnt present.  Besides just because her ANA was positive doesn't mean she has Lupus.  I had a positive ANA today but everything else negative and dr hasn't said a word about anything to me yet.  Awaiting my titer levels still but I would go back and ask the dr what they think, they have to be straight forward with you.

I have joint pain and symptoms for hyperthyroidism but my thyroid tests/ultrasound came back completely normal.
Helpful - 0
My 17 year olds ANA is 1:1280 now. It seems to double every six months.  It started 1:180 2 years ago.  Her tonsils are so swollen with white stripes on them.  I am interested if your daughters ANA went down after tonsillectomy.
Helpful - 0
Let me start with the fact that I was diagnosed with Lupus in 1993.  I used to get chronic canker sores from age 15-19.  I slowly found out that certain foods or preservatives in food is what triggered them but they are a side effect of my Lupus.  With that being said, everyone that I know that has Lupus is completely different.

Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Lupus Community

Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?