Lupus Community

Birth Control and lupus

I have read that being on birth control could cause people to have flares and is kind of bad for people with lupus.  I have never been on birth control and was wondering what is the best way to go when i do have to be on birth control.  I don't want to live like a nun all my life just because i have lupus and can't be on birth control. Also with all of the different meds that i take i wouldn't want to become pregnant if i was sexually active.
I can tell you from personal experience that ALL of my medical problems started after I was put on birth control. I was on it for a year and just literally watched my health decline. I don't know any specifics about birth control interaction with lupus but something happened to me while I was on that stuff and I haven't been the same ever since.
I am married and now I track my fertility the natural way by taking basal body temps everyday to track when I ovulate. Then we just either use protection during my most fertile days or avoid them all together. If your cycle is regular then I highly recommend it!
There's a really awesome book that I recommend if you want to go the natural route for controlling your fertility. Here's the info for that too:
Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Wexler
Oh wow! thank you! i will check that out!
Estrogen can adversely impact someone with lupus; therefore, if you use hormonal birth control, it is usually recommended that you use one that is progesterone-only (i.e., the "mini pill" or depo-provera). Other types of hormonal birth control (i.e., ortho-tri-cyclen/"the pill") use a combination of estrogen and progesterone, which is why they can cause problems for people who have lupus.
It's nice to know this, because my oncologist is almost 100% certain that I have lupus (I go to the Rheumatologist on July 18th and hope ot findout for sure then) And I've had to take b.c. for years because of my endomitriosis and also the pcos I have (Poly cystic ovarian syndrome) So... I'll have to figure that part out as well, because with the rate that I'm going.. I don't need anything else... LOL
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.
How eating more salt may actually save your life.