DHEA

What dosage of DHEA should you take for lupus?  I have read 50 mg is correct, but I have also read about 200 mg being used in current trials.

Thanks for your time!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I don't really have an answer to this either, as I too have read varying reports on the dosage. But I wanted to respond to you.  I have noted 50-200mg in various literature.  Have you heard anymore?  I also read that you should start as low as 10mg to see what it does to you, but I haven't researced how it is dosed to know how the pills come.  

Does anyone out there use DHEA?  I am interested in starting it as well - there is so much in alternative and even now mainstream literature about it - curious if anyone is using it?
Helpful - 0
I avoid DHEA completely! DHEA is a hormone supplement, yes? The bi-weekly changes in hormones adversely affect my lupus with fatigue and depression exacerbated!
If anyone knows any positive affects produced by DHEA, I'd sure like to know too!
Helpful - 0
DHEA - Dehydroepiandrosterone or DHEA is made from cholesterol by the adrenal glands, which sit on top of each kidney. Production of this substance peaks in the mid-20s, and gradually declines with age in most people. What this drop means or how it affects the aging process, if at all, is unclear. In fact, scientists are somewhat mystified by DHEA and have not fully sorted out what it does in the body. However, researchers do know that the body converts DHEA into two hormones that are known to affect us in many ways: estrogen and testosterone.

Supplements of DHEA can be bought without a prescription and are sold as “anti-aging remedies.” Some proponents of these products claim that DHEA supplements improve energy, strength, and immunity. DHEA is also said to increase muscle and decrease fat. Right now there is no consistent evidence that DHEA supplements do any of these things in people, and there is little scientific evidence to support the use of DHEA as a “rejuvenating” hormone. Although the long-term (over one year) effects of DHEA supplements have not been studied, there are early signs that these supplements, even when taken briefly, may have several detrimental effects on the body including liver damage.

In addition, some people's bodies make more estrogen and testosterone from DHEA than others. There is no way to predict who will make more and who will make less. Researchers are concerned that DHEA supplements may cause high levels of estrogen or testosterone in some people. This is important because testosterone may play a role in prostate cancer, and higher levels of estrogen are associated with an increased risk of breast cancer. It is not yet known for certain if supplements of estrogen and testosterone, or supplements of DHEA, also increase the risk of developing these types of cancer. In women, high testosterone levels can cause acne and growth of facial hair.

Overall, the studies that have been done so far do not provide a clear picture of the risks and benefits of DHEA. For example, some studies in older people show that DHEA helps build muscle, but other studies do not. Researchers are working to find more definite answers about DHEA's effects on aging, muscles, and the immune system. In the meantime, people who are thinking about taking supplements of this hormone should understand that its effects are not fully known. Some of these unknown effects might turn out to be harmful.

National Institute on Aging
U. S. Department of Health and Human Services
Public Health Service
National Institutes of Health

Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Lupus Community

Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?