Lupus Community

Dr office not much help

Ok, I'm totally new with this, so pls forgive my ignorance.  I have had TONS of blood work in the past 60 days.  A few things have stood out... but my Dr office is not especially helpful or communicative.  They like to send you electronic messages with little details.  

The main thing at this point are as follows:

ANA Direct = Positive (no actual reading given)
Anti-DNA(DS) Ab Qn = 12

Some of my symptoms are as follows:

irregular period
fatigue/weakness
hot flashes-profuse sweating (without exercising)
inability to lose weight despite diet & regular exercise
uncharacteristic acne (in scalp)

I have suffered from long term moderate depression for about 20 years or so, but symptoms are managed with 150 mg effexor xr.  

The last message I got was "refer to Rhuem" and that was it...  no explanation, no nothing.  I'm doing my own research - since clearly they are too busy or incapable of explaining anything to me.

I read that there are 11 symptoms of Lupus... and I can't say for sure that I consistently have more than like 2 of them maybe...  so what does this all mean? Anything? Nothing?  

I've got tons of lab work, so if anything else might be helpful, let me know what to look for (or ask them) and I'll try to get some addtl info.  

Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your medical problems. The symptoms of irregular periods, acne, inability of lose weight and hot flashes sound more like polycystic ovarian disease or menopause or pre-menopause or hypothyroidism or diabetes. Please consult your doctor regarding these possibilities.
Besides lupus, dsDNA antibodies are also seen in rheumatoid arthritis, viral infections, autoimmune hepatitis, and myeloma. This may be a false positive result. It would be better to repeat the complete antibody panel for lupus which also includes Anti-Ro and Anti-Sm. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Thanks for your reply... you're not going to believe this.  I just got into the most ridiculous argument with this doctor. In short she is saying she does not understand why I have questions and that she has referred me to a rheumatologist.  She says she's only a "screener"... but yet they made me see a "screener" before her, so I'm still totally lost.  I just called one of the partners and told him how displeased I was with their office ...  After 14 vials of blood and feeling like I'm no further, I'm ready to just forget the whole thing and just suffer through whatever symptoms I have.  And I am relatively bright! I cannot imagine how lost those who have zero gumption and persistence would feel.  
When is your appointment with the rhematologist?  

GPs don't diagnose rheumatic diseases.  They usually try to rule other illnesses out and when autoimmune markers come up, they usually pass them along to a rhemy for more investigation.  

Try to be patient.  Meanwhile, keep track of your symptoms.  Write down any skin changes and other symptoms that you might not even think are significant... like dry eyes and feeling cold.  There is a list of 11 criteria for a diagnosis of lupus, but there are many lupus symptoms.  Could fill up a page w/ small print of all the possible symptoms.  A person needs 4 of the 11 criteria for a diagnosis.  Which 2 were you referring to?
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.
How eating more salt may actually save your life.
A deeper look into the relationship between salt and hypertension.