Feeling hot without real fever??

Hello, all.  I have been dealing with autoimmune issues for about 15 years now.  I never got a formal diagnosis of anything other than fibromyalgia.  I've always tested negative for the lupus antibodies, though have had ANA's as high as 1280 and as low as 40.   I am on plaquenil and every now and then steroids to get me through some of the rough patches.   I wondered if anyone gets bouts of feeling hot/inflammation all over when going through a flare?  Not really a fever, per the thermometer, but just feeling like you have a fever? I don't really know any good way to describe it.  I feel achy and hot all over, my skin is hot to the touch , and sort of flu-like, but the thermometer always registers as no fever.   Anyone else?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hello everyone. I want to say how very much I am releived in a strange sense to see your comments, but especailly  mochamommy0816  :)    I have been getting MOST of those symptoms for YEARS, but it seems this 8 months or so, it's worse. You are so correct in saying it's like attacks or waves that occur. I can be doing wonderful for a long period of time, then ..BANG!!  It's concering me because it has been happening a LOT more frequently these past few months and it takes me what seems to be forever to get better. I have been tested for thyroid issues, anemia, Lupus, etc..  and NOTHING,which I am grateful. I;m so tired of feeling like this. The MAIN thing you mentioned was feeling like you have a fever but you do not. I feel EXACTLY that way. Here lately it's been a lot of headaches, which I have EVERDAY since I was a young girl, but they are worse and different. I have NO energy and just an overwhelming feeling of feeling bad. I guess it would be similar to a FLU, but milder maybe. I HAVE however noticed that when I have extremely stressful situations, ( which I have been dealing with for years) but. more lately. It seems to make my body go out of wack easier now and takes me FOREVER to start feeling (normal) again.  I'm just so disheartned, fed up and almot embarrassed. My family always ask.. (what is wrong now)??  :( ***   It' upsets me so much to feel like this and I don't know what to tell anyone anymore.  Thank you all for not making me feel so alone.
Helpful - 1
Have you ever found an answer?  I hope so.  I'm still searching for an answer to waking up feeling like my insides are on fire, especially in my chest and upper back. It goes away mostly when I move around for 30 minutes or so. So many people describe this and yet no one has an answer...incredibly scary and super frustrating that no one has a clue wth this is.
I am a 47 year old male, hot to the touch my palms are so hot they are constantly red, 4 weeks ago on my way to work I threw up in the car, since then I have had test after test after test it reveals nothing.  In my early 20's I started to have joint problems not due to sports,  I have had 6 operations on each knee and both my elbows are in pain and now my left and right hip has started to get sore,  One day I can walk for miles the next not even 100 yards.  The thing that bothers me the most out of these 27 years of suffering is the the heat my body is producing and it's now getting worse and affecting my work I have now been off 4 weeks, my sister has fibromyalgia and 2 of my nieces have hyper mobility syndrome and 1 has lupus.  I have suffered the the hot temp with no temp coming on 30 years and no one has answers but other that I feel good no headaches just joint pain and feeling hot so hot the bed needs changed every day and a new pillow, I buy pillows by the bucket load and new mattress protectors.  
Helpful - 1
Have had same symptoms for years.  For me, it is fibromyalgia.   Be prepared to hear some Dr's say it doesn't exist.  Imagine all these millions of us fakers with the same complaints!  
Helpful - 1
OMG......I'm going through this. Just turned 47.   Hot with no apparent temp. Achy, and headaches. I had full blood workup in March with nothing out of the ordinary and it's not going away. Not sure how much more I can handle....No wonder guys think we are nuts!!!!   If this is peri-menopause, I would rather have my monthly till the end.
Helpful - 1
Same,   been living with all these symptoms off and on for years.  Miss some really important things.   In the last couple years I have to sleep with a fan on so I can breath.  The pain, the nausea, feeling like flu, waking up feeling terrible, not being able to sleep, face hot but temp "normal".  Tired but can't sleep sometimes, and sooo sleepy hours and hours too much sleep others, even sometimes can't make it to work.  So tough to live a normal life!  Easy to say fibromyalgia or thyroid, but it's lazy non-technical doctors.  Thyroid tested, not an issue. Basic blood levels/cholestoral tested.  Chest xray normal.  Hormones were supposed to be tested but I haven't yet.  Pretty healthy and athletic, when I'm "normal".  Can't think when it's too hot or too cold, trouble focusing, weight gain10 lbs each time in 6 mths or less, as I try to eat myself into feeling better. :(  (thinking it's like lack of some vitamin) I've tried to stay away from the gluten too, but haven't really seen it as the cure, but maybe haven't stuck to it long enough.  .  I understand thinking depression, but it comes and goes, seems to have no rhyme or reason, but when life is challenging, its harder to fight it off.  Exercise whenever you can, even when you can't, it will help.  Hope we all find a "cure" for this, makes me want to be a doctor.  Docs!  Someone look into this, so many of us. :(  The "popular" Dx these days is Chron's, Lupus, Thyroid, Fybromyalgia, and Diabetes in the past, but .. How about real proof of a "root cause" ??  It can't be that difficult to locate the problem and manage with diet & exercise (medication as a last resort).  Wish I was a research doctor...pattern recognition.
Helpful - 1
is it thyroid causing it..?? plz reply soon
Helpful - 0
I too have lupus and have the same sensation.  I asked my Primary and he said lupus can cause inflamation in the vascular system, thus causing a flushing sensation.  I also have the feeling like I am running a fever, along w/ the aches and headache that accompany a fever.  Sometimes I actually am running a low grade.  If you temp seems to run low to begin with, then you could actually be running a temp.  
Helpful - 0
Yes, I also get the feverish feeling quite often when I'm in a flare.  I do sometimes actually run a fever during these times, but there are others when I only FEEL like I'm running a fever - I'll get that hot feeling, my face will sometimes get flushed (not always), my eyes will burn, I'll feel achy all over.

My "normal" temp runs pretty low - on average about 97.4 -- so even when the thermometer reads 98.6 - 99, it really feels higher to me.
Helpful - 0
I to feel this way a lot of times. I am having one right now, really not sure what to do for this.
Can anyone tell me what will help this burning .

Thank Renee
Helpful - 0
I get that all the time.  I feel so hot, then chills, and aches, and take my temp and it's always A-O-K....... Then a month ago, I went to the doc for chest pain (pleurisy) and the nurse tells me I have a fever, and I felt fine.... So, my body can't tell me when I really have a fever and when I do not.... And, I'm only 34, so it's not like hot flashes.... But, I am often cold.  Like, around the house I wear a hoodie, with the hood on.  I always cover myself with the comforter, even in August and When I sit on the couch to watch TV, I have to bundle up in a thick blanket.....

The fever-like thing usually seems to happen in the morning and at night, though..... If that means anything.  When I have a flare, it maybe through out the day, but I notice it mostly morning and night...

Hope you feel better
Helpful - 0
Black seed chew it every morning see the internet for more details
Its curing me already daily morning dose no harm if taken but the benefit wowwwwwwwww
I've been fighting perimenapause for over 5 years now...flushed red face, chest and arms...hot to the touch when I'm flared up...at times I run a very low temp...my glands and my breasts get extremely sore...joint pain, swelling, extreme weight gain, hypoglycemic tendency and hunger for sweats and salt...I'm extremely tired and have more headaches than usuall...very bad menstrual periods, pain radiates to the knees...I have night sweats, cold chills...the fatigue is terrible, I can't sleep at night, my memory is foggy and I just feel as if I can't control my anger when I'm not taking Estrogen...My doc said my Estrogen is low,so he put me on a low dose...which has helped with some symptoms...My primary says I have adrenal fatigue and my gynocologist says I'm in perimenapause...I just feel confused and I feel like I'm getting no where and am losing out on quality time that I could share with my teenagers...It seems like I'm up 5 hours out of a day and in bed the rest...sure ***** to be me, really does!!!
Helpful - 0
I have been suffering with this fever for 20 years? The doctors think I am nuts I am depressed or it is fibromyalgia etc. the fever is so bad for months at a time no clue what triggers it but just goes on for a couple of months mostly flares up in the late afternoons and evenings almost goes away by late night very tired the whole time and want to stay in bed. Any doctor out there?
Sue
Helpful - 0
I'm 20 and I have Hoshimoto's thyroiditis. It's an autoimmune disorder that often results in hypothyroidism (under active thyroid). A lot of what I have read on various forums attribute these symptoms to the thyroid. I, however, an on medication to regulate my thyroid. I must get tests regularly to ensure that my levels are good. I recently got checked and my levels were perfect, so I know that it isn't my thyroid. I've had a sinus infection for several weeks that doesn't seem to go away but what's strange is that I am running a much lower temperature than my usual 98.7. I get bouts of extreme heat in which I cannot even keep clothes on because I am so hot. I sweat like crazy and I have a throbbing headache, as well as severe body aches and exhaustion. My body is not to the touch but, when I take my temperature, I have no fever. I dont think that this has anything to do with the sinus infection, as I am on antibiotics. My doctor drew blood yesterday in order to test me for just about everything. I was just wondering if anyone has any idea as to what might be causing these unbearable fever like symptoms and low body temperature?
Helpful - 0
I am being treated for undiagnosed Lupus, I do understand what you are saying.  My regular temperature runs low - usually between 96.5 and 97.2.  Some days I will feel feverish, achy, burning eyes and headache which brings on nausea, but temp will only be about 98 (highest 98.7) so not officially a fever.  My husband says we need a new thermometer, even though it works fine for him, lol.
Helpful - 0
What the doctors are saying I have the exactly same feeling
Plz reply me I am hypothyroid already taking medicine so the levels are fine,anemic so taking iron for that and vitamin d medicine once a week
I cannot explain this feeling to a doctor
Helpful - 0
I have not had answer from doctor, he says it is good I don't have fever.  I have next appointment in January, will try again.
Helpful - 0
I could respond to anyone within this string.  I have the same problem with always feeling HOT, really HOT, most of the time.  On the occassion when I am not feeling hot, I am freezing.  My tempature usually runs a little below normal around 97.4 and sometimes lower.  I have hypothyroidism, and am totally in menopause.  I have been on several estrogen types, up and down the dosage levels, with no relief.  I have been up and down the dosage for my thyroid also.  Thyroid tests show it is ok.  My doctor's refuse to check for anything other than the usual stuff, menopause and low thyroid.  I wish I could find a doctor who knows how to think outside of the box and fix me!  It's very uncomfortable being in my skin.
Helpful - 0
i cant not feel  the different of my own body my husband told me that my body be hot every night I don't even noticed that i do not sweat .I touch my body I don't feel the hotness  and I don't have fever
I'm 51 years old
can someone tell me what that mean
Helpful - 0
have lupus with low temp. but feel i'm burning up. my hair gets so wet the sweat runs down my back like i've got out of shower. uncomfortable and extremely embarrasing
Helpful - 0

I wonder if I can get any help out there!! Pleeeez !!!

I started two moths ago with a severe bloated stomach and one which feels raw and unable to digest food in the intestines.  My sinuses are full of phlegm all the time with mucus draining into my throat constantly.  
My body feels as though its burning up and have clamy hands and feet and it's effecting my mental status. I have a rapid heart rate constantly.
I have difficulty sleeping and staying asleep... This is driving my wife crazy !!
I really am at a wits end... My GP has done all the tests under the sun including stool samples for Parasites etc etc.. All to no avail.
  My personal prognosis is that I have Bacterial Sepsis without the fever..

I do hope that someone can shed a light on this!!!
Helpful - 0
Hi.  What medicines are you on?  I have periods of time when it feels like I am hot, but mostly I'm freezing cold.  I thought I was having hot flashes, but when they tested my hormones, they were all in the normal range.
Helpful - 0
Have they checked your liver out real good?  Lab work and ultrasound???

Another thing you can try is a good probiotic.  Along w/ some cutting back (and or) illiminating sugar in your diet.  For the sinus problems, you could try a nettie pot.  Be sure and use distilled water along w/ some salt.  They recommend twice a day.
Helpful - 0
Hi.  I have the exact same thing.  I have been sick for almost two years.  Get exactly what you describe.  I feel hot to touch and am achy but no fever to be registered by thermometer.  My doctor keeps saying it's in my head.  But I have IBS, interstitial cystitis, esophageal refulux, and I have extreme fatique, after a day of work, I hurt so bad all over, my hands, legs, neck, back, basically whole body.  I barely have energy to do daily functions on most days.  I have basically cut work down to once or twice a week which makes things hard.  Blood work is normal, had ANA test normal, been tested for Rheumatoid factor, normal, no one knows whats wrong.... Please let me know what happens with you.... fibromyalgia has been thrown around by walk in clinic docs, but I haven't gotten anywhere... I know something is wrong... I am 37 and living like i'm 85... tea, rest, no energy for anything, always feeling tire and unwell...
Helpful - 0
I have hot and red  face as I had fever when I am dehydrated. I am often dehydrated.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Lupus Community

Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?