How long does a diagnosis take?

I am a 29 year old female with chronic fatigue and flares of joint pain.  My first symptoms appeared after my son was born I was 24.  After him I was extremely fatigued, had joint pain and developed a rash over my nose and cheeks.  I saw my primary who did an ANA which was positive and SED rate that was slightly elevated she sent me to a rheumotologist.  They ran several test which didn't really tell us alot.  He told me it can take years to diagnose.  I still have "episodes" of feeling horrible joint pain fatigue the rash and more recently blood in my urine.  If I'm in the sun for more than ten minutes my face is bright red and I feel terrible.  I also have a family history of lupus, my aunt died several years ago from kidney failure due to lupus.  How long can the diagnosis take?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
It can take a long time but the key is getting your blood tested frequently and going into the sun before a test.  If you have Lupus it will help your ANA to be positive.  If you don't, then it won't do anything.  Are they treating you anyway?  My symptoms point to Lupus and have positive ANA one time and negative the next time.  I am on Plaquenil to help.
Helpful - 0
No they have not treated me but I have not had frequent blood work so maybe thats what I need to do.  Thanks for the reply.
Helpful - 0
why does the sun alter the ANA result?
Helpful - 0
Photosensitivity is common with Lupus.  It not only can cause burns, rashes, etc., it can also cause an increase in your other symptoms or cause you to flare.   This then causes your ANA to increase.  If you don't have Lupus, your ANA will not be affected.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Lupus Community

Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?