Lupus Community

Lymphatic Colitis and Lupus

Last year around May I developed what I thought was severe acne all over my face and back. I treated it with just about everything you can get over the counter. During the fall I began to experience brief but extremly painful sharp pains on the middle left side of my chest and would begin to get very dizzy nearly fainting...sometimes I could actually feel my heart beating through my ribs! I thought maybe they were just panic attacks, as the pain went away in a short period of time. I experienced that for a few weeks and then I began to have chest pain occasionally...especially at night. It wasn't excruciating, my chest just felt sore. Since the birth of my daughter in January '08 I am extremly fatigued, I thought it was just typically post baby syndrome, but I STILL feel that way. During this time I also experienced a change in bowel habits going from constapation to diahrrea. I had diahrrea from November until Feb 3rd when I began having vomiting and diarrea along with a deep pain just below my rib cage. After a night in the ER I returned with fluke findings of a ruptured ovarian cyst and a vaginal bacterial infection. I ventured out to a gastroentorologist whom performed a colonoscopy and diagnosed me with Lymphatic Colitis. Between visits I have experienced extreme pain and burning in my upper back and right shoulder. Two weeks later I underwent an Endoscopy to test for celiac, and an ultrasound on my organs to check for any damage as my liver was tender. During the ultrasound evidence of the development of kidney stones was found and I was reffered to a urologist. That night at home I was carrying a salad to the fridge for dressing and suddenly could not hold the bowl anymore...the bowl slammed to the floor...it was like I had blacked out briefly, like I stopped functioning momentarily. This afternoon I got my endoscopy results...a hurnia and small ulcers were found, and the biopsies revealed no sign of celiac. My doc said that I could still have celiac and that it could just be deep in my intestines and in the begginning stages and has ordered a pill cam test. After seeing the urologist today I had an x-ray which he said showed sand like particles in my kidneys, but were no cause for concern...however just to be safe he ordered a 24hr urination test. I explained to him that I get bladder infections about once a month, and experienced sever kidney infections during both of my pregnancies. He was still not concerned. SO WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME! How can ALL this stuff be going on at once? Recently I have been informed that 3 generations of my family have Lupus...can any of these things be realted to Lupus? I'm 23yrs old...I'm young, but I feel like I am falling apart...HELP!  

I just saw your post for the first time.  I don't know where to start.  You do seem to have a lot going on.  One thing I will say is the gastro doc cannot always see your celiac and there is a gene test for it to.  You should maybe think about getting that done.  If you do have lupus then IBS goes with it most definitly.  The thing about lupus is it shows up in everyone in a different way.  I think I would ask for an ANA test to start out.  That would tell you if you have any antinuclear antibody stuff going on in your body.  There are over 100 autoimmune diseases and you might want to also put this post on the Autoimmune Forum as well if you haven't already.  Lupus can mess with every single part of your body, especially the kidneys, liver, heart etc.  Have you gotten anymore answers or had anything else happen since you made this post?
God Bless,
Joni
There are a number of things that could be going on.  In other words, you could have more than one thing happening.  It sounds like your doctors are taking you serious and are trying to help you get better.  

Have they checked for MS, your TSH (thyroid level), Vit D, parathyroid (which can cause kidney stones), and lymes disease.

I agree with Joni, it would be a good idea for them to check your ANA.  But as far as I know, lupus can not cause kidney stones.  But again, there could be more than one thing going on here.  

Here are a few conditions and their symptoms.  Hopefully they will help you narrow down your search.

LYMES:
fever, headache, chills, severe muscle pain, fatigue, nausea, vomiting, rash, cough, lymphadenopathy (?), arthralgia (?), stiff neck, erythema migrains (?), leukopenia (low WBC), thrombocytopenia (low platelet ?),elevated AST, elevated ALT & anemia

Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever is another possiblity:
all of the above except no stiff neck, no erythema migrains, and no leukopenia.
(I ended up testing possitive to RMSF)  I was a very sick puppy last year.  Fibro, lupus and RMSF

CFID:
fatigue, headache, short-term memory loss, muscle pain, difficulty concentrating, joint pain, depression, abdominal pain, lymph node pain, sore throat, lack of restful sleep, muscle weakness, bitter or metallic taste, balance disturbance, diarrhea, constipation, bloating, panic attacks, eye pain, scratchiness in eyes, blurring of vision, double vision, sensitivity to bright lights, numbness or tingling in extremities, fainting spells, light headedness, dizziness, clumsiness, insomnia, fever or sensation of fever, chills, night sweats, weight gain, allergies, chemical sensitivities, palpitations, shortness of breath, flushing rash of the face and cheeks, swelling of the extremities or eyelids, burning on urination & hair loss.
reported to follow a # of infections like Epstein Barr, Mono, hep C, lyme, etc.

Fibromyalgia:
muscle pain, morning stiffness, insomnia, musculoskeletal pain, joint pain w/o swelling, fatigue, tingling, pricking or numbness, skin tenderness, light headedness (dizziness), fluid retention, stress or anxiety, poor memory, vocabulary problems, tender points, irritable bowel, chronic headaches, jaw pain, painful menstration, restless leg syndrome

Lupus:
fatigue, hair falling out, sores in mouth and or nose, sores in head or even on your face and other parts of your body, joint pain (sometimes w/ swelling), Raynauds (in some), cold intollerance, occasional hot flashes, muscle aches, nausea, diarrehea, severe headaches, tachycardia, weakness, heavy feeling on chest, abdomen swells, elevated ANA, rash on face. (to name a few)

Praying for you.
one other thing to check is GALLSTONES!!!
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.