Pulmonary hypertension w/ lupus

My DIL has lupus, has managed it well over the past few years. Now she's under tremendous stress caring for her Mom who is dying from cancer. A few weeks ago my DIL was having some shortness of breath. They thought it was just stress induced asthma. But now they're thinking it might be pulmonary hypertension. She's scheduled for a heart cath in a couple of weeks. How likely or common is it for someone with lupus to develop this? I'm still hoping and praying it's just the stress.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Perhaps this isn't common in folks with lupus. I'll post over on the heart disease board.
Helpful - 0
Hi Ireneo  :)  since I was just recently told about Lupus, I'm learning all I can, but from my understanding that it can affect all parts of your body.  Have you checked out the Lupus foundation of America website? there's a ton of info there on symptoms and so far everyone says no two cases are the same

I've had SOB with/without stress documented by drs since 2004 and been told nothing was wrong but with my heart problems last year I wonder.  I know if she's under that kind of stress it's probably causing a flare and sounds like affecting her heart or inflammtion in the sac around it causing the sob, or could be plain stress of caring for her mother :(

The LPA also has some great forums like here and I've been absorbing all I can since last week, so you may want to ask there also :)
Helpful - 0
Thank you so very much. Originally they told her it might be a flare and after a couple of weeks I thought she was doing better. Hadn't heard from them (they live down south). Then my son called the other day and said she was going in for a right heart cath. Yikes! I'm just very worried about her.

I'll check on the other site, see what I can learn. Thanks for the response and the help.
Helpful - 0
I hope they check her for blood clots in the lungs. That can happen in people with Lupus and happened to my hubby, who doesn't have Lupus, and it causes shortness of breath. Just something else to factor in.
Helpful - 0
I forgot about those. I usually think of PE's after surgeries, not spontaneous. Thank you.
Helpful - 0
Can be very sontaneous. My hubby has been through this 3 times and to this day we don't know why. He is very healthy and athletic.
Helpful - 0
So far my DIL seems to be doing OK. I hear she's on some kind of medication (geez, who isn't?). She spoke with my youngest son and then he told me. I'll have to ask more directly and find out. I adore her but because they live so far away, I feel like I don't know her well enough to pry into her personal life too much. I rely on my oldest son keeping me informed. She and my youngest son just hit it off at the wedding. They're like real brother and sister, badgering and teasing each other just for fun. I love to watch them.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Lupus Community

Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?