Rheumy vs Dermy (lupus or not)

Hi! I am looking for info and support here on this forum from people that has gone thru or going thru some of the things that I have been thru in the last 3 years,(is it lupus or not).Within the last 3 yrs,I have had joint/muscle pain in the knees,feet,wrist,and hands,and a low grade temp.Also, I have nose ulcers that will not go away,had these for the last 2 yrs.About 8 months ago I had red rash appear on the upper part of arms,which stop at the elbows.This rash does not itch,and at times it is warm to the touch and becomes bright red,it is flat not a raised rash.The rash also is located under each eye and across my nose,but here the rash is not as bright as the rash on my upper arms.Been seeing a Rhuemy all blood test are negative,ANA.Finally,on one visit with the Rheumy,my feet were swollen and I had fever,and the upper arms were warm to the touch and lower arms were cold.Rheumy,was then concerned.I was sent to have a biopsy of the rash.Now here is were I just get so confused.I went to a dermatologist for biopsy,the biopsy came back this is what it read final `diagnosis :subtle interface dermatitis with increased interstital mucin compatible with lupus erythematosus.I then return to the rheumy,Rheumy say's he does not agree with the biopsy findings! But Dermy dr say's its lupus! So now what? I am so ready to give up! I don't know what else to do.Also,i forgot to mention I have been on plaquenil 200 mg twice a day for 2 months before I was sent for the biopsy.On my last visit i was given a low dose of predisone to take.Sorry the post is so long .Just hoping that someone here has been thru this and is willing to give info.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I know how frustrating it is to go through all the hoops and they still won't help you.  From what I have observed, rheumatologist won't really dx lupus unless there is organ involvement.  My dr. told me it is "mild" lupus and gave me plaquinel.  But on my chart it says fibromyalgia is the dx.  I really don't care wat the dx is, just so long as they are giving me the meds that are helping me stay out of the bed.  Plaquinel gave me my life back.  It will never be what it was, but at least I don't feel like I'm dying anymore.

I only know one person who said their lupus was dx from the skin biopsy.  She said before the biopsy, they were struggling to figure this thing out.  I would encourage you to maybe seek out another dr. if that would be possible.
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the response.Yes,it is very frustrating one dr saying lupus,and the other not so sure,The person you spoke of having a skin biopsy to confirm dx,was it the dermy that made that call? See that's where I get so mixed up! I have dermy tellin me it's lupus,and rheumy saying he is not quiet sure of lupus yet,but he wont release me,he is seeing me every 4 months.I have been on the plaquenil now for 3 months,I can tell it is helping some,but was told that it could take up to 8 months to really notice a change.I hope that it continues to help,so I can carry on everday things.As far as another dr goes,i do have appt to see another rheumy in a couple months,the rheumy dr's are very few  where i am from,it takes a while to get in.again thanks for the reply
Helpful - 0
It takes a while to get in to see a rhemy here too.

I've been told that plaquinel can make your ANA level go down.  But I'm glad they have decided to give you something to try.  I know I started feeling better within a month of taking plaquinel, but I think it was 6-8 months to see the full benefit.  But my muscles had wasted away and I had lost a lot of strength.  It took that long to build back up.  

The person who got the biopsy was someone I met at the physical therapist office.  She was an intern.  I tried calling her the other day, but haven't gotten a response.  If I get a hold of her I'll ask her if the dermatologist dx'd you or the rhemy.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Lupus Community

Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?