Lupus Community

Sp tired of insomnia, exhaustion, and stomach issues..

Hi all,
I was diagnosed with SLE and secondary Sjogrens few yrs back. I also have IC-Interstitial Cystitis, and started having kidney stones in my early 20's, have had over 25 so far. I am really having a time with insomnia (can't fall asleep..usually 7-11 am before I do). Of course this makes the exhaustion worse. I also have a lot of stomach issues. One biggie is low level nausea most of the time. Of course this interferes with me eating. And when I do eat, often the "after taste" makes the nausea worse...no matter what it is I eat. I am hyper sensitive to tastes and odors.
Any suggestions on what has helped you? Or someone you know? I've been on Plaquenil since diagnosis. I also am on other meds for other issues. No new meds, so not thinking that making symptoms worse. I have had tum problems since I was a small girl.
Rheumy has been mentioning Methotrexate at my last few check ups. Saying just a small dose, to see if it helps. I have told him no so far..anyone on it, and how's it doing for you?
Thanks for listening, hope you all are doing as good as you can be.
C
Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your medical problems. Lupus can affect your gastrointestinal tract and cause nausea, loose motion etc. However, chronic nausea and bad taste in mouth can also be due to Plaquenil. Hence, you need to find out whether your symptom is a side effect of the drug or a gastrointestinal flare of lupus. Please consult your doctor regarding this. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Thank you for your observations and input. I will definitely discuss this with my Rheumatologist again at my next check up. I know the Plaquenil can have the same side effects that I experience as part of my Lupus diagnosis, it's a hard choice, eh? Take meds to try and slow progression of disease process, or don't take meds due to possible side effects...I also have RTA, Renal Tubular Acidosis, and the Urocit-K I am on causes stomach issues..so much so that I am only able to take a quarter of the dose that is recommended. My Endocrinologist has suggested not taking it due to the tummy issues, but even on such a small dose I went 2+ years without a kidney stone flare-up, so to me the benefits of the med outweigh the risks.
I should quit whining and be grateful I function as well as I do.
Thanks again!
Regards,
C
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.