Where are the best cities for someone with lupus?

I need to move to a city that has a low UV index and good VA facilities. I am severely photosensitive and live in Las Vegas so it's almost impossible to get better. I'm also affected by fluorscent lights.  Because I need to be near a good VA hospital or have good clinic access, small towns are not an option.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I would suggest anywhere in Hawai'i.  Great VA care; it gets warm but not HOTT; one can easily get out of the sun but enjoy mild weather, fresh fish, fruit, etc, and feel GOOD from the diet; even during the "hot season" there, it's far less miserable than ANY city in the US (except---MAYBE San Diego), where if it IS too warm, one might duck into a shadowy hut, your flat, an hotel, restaurant, etc., and no one looks askance.
I pray daily my husband gets transferred there.  Huge ethnic diversity; killer food; kind people- and if it's hot, step behind the Lanai'i for a sip of papaya juice......
Helpful - 0
Hawaii would be hard. Honolulu has a higher UV index than Las Vegas. I love San Diego and have friends and family there but the sun would be so hard to handle.
I have an abnormal, severe photosensitivity and have to cover my face during the day and still need to apply sunscreen under my clothing.  Of course heat is bad but it doesn't hurt me like the sun.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Lupus Community

Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?