Lupus Community
1.43k Members

autoimmune lupus

my ankles and my right arm and wrist are stiff i have gout and ostoearthritus
1 Responses
351246 tn?1379685732
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hi!

I am not sure what your question is, but gout and osteoarthritis itself can cause ankle, wrist, shoulder and elbow stiffness. This can result in whole right arm stiffness. Lupus usually causes more generalized symptoms like fatigue, rashes, numbness, tingling, fever etc. It does not cause symptoms restricted to joints.

The American College of Rheumatology (ACR) has identified 11 characteristics that should be present for diagnosis of SLE or lupus and it is important that at least 4 of the characteristics should be present for a confirmed diagnosis. This includes serositis (pleurisy or pericardiatis, since you had bronchial infection, ask your doctor to check for pleurisy or inflammation of lining of lung), mouth ulcer, low WBC or leucopenia/anemia (hemolytic)/thrombocytopenia/lymphopenia, arthritis, kidney involvement, high ANA, finding of Smith Antibody (Anti-Smith)/ dsDNA/ antiphospholipid antibodies (anticardiolipin immunoglobulin G [IgG] or immunoglobulin. So, if you and your doctor suspect you have lupus, you can ask your doctor to run basic tests like ANA, ANA staining, Anti-RNP antibodies, anti-U1 RNP antibodies etc. Take care!
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.