lupus and the heart

does any one knows if lupus can affect the heart?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
It definitely can.  I believe it is call endocarditis.  Inflamation of the sack that surrounds the heart.  It can also cause hardening of the arteries, which can lead to some serious heart trouble as well as all over your body. (blood flow).

Are you having trouble in this area?

Kara
Helpful - 0
lupus is essentially your body attacking itself instead of disease.  It attacked my mother's kidney's to the point of failure.  If you think lupus is attacking your organs you need to let your dr know right away!!  The longer you wait the more irrepairable damage may occur.
Helpful - 0
Yes it can damage your heart, mine is damaged.....I have cardiomyopathy.  Please tell your doctor right away, so they can stop any damage from happening.
Pam
Helpful - 0
thankyou this is all new to me .i am looking for a new doctor that can help with heart and lupus.is there any thing i should ask when i go? god bless
Helpful - 0
thank you yes i have a few problems. with my legs swelling and pain also alot of headaches. thanks for responding
Helpful - 0
I would start with a Rheumy Dr first because they can address the cause if it is indeed Lupus and start you on treatment.  They will then send you to a cardiologist who will manage your problems. I have had cardiomyopothy for 5 years and it is managed by both my Lupus dr and my heart dr.  My ejection fraction has improved with treatment.
Helpful - 0
Hey there, I am living with this nasty disease as well as many others....Lupus is called a disease of a million faces.....Lupus attacks all major organs so yes it can attack the heart, i learned that changing your life style can keep this disease under control...I have been living with it for 3 years now, and i feel great........But i definetly had alot bad days as well.......I am 34 years old with a 2 year old daughter home that keeps me going....I wish you happy health and good luck :)
Helpful - 0
YES!!! Lupus is a diesease....we learned that my daughter had lupus at age 11 7 months to the day she passed away we had no idea that she was as sick as she was her symptoms were flu like symptoms we would treat her like it was the flu but this went on for months fine for a week or so then sick again high fevers vomiting tired all the time saying her legs hurt baldy finally after being sooo concerned we asked the doctor to do bloodwork to fig out whats going on after that we found out she had protien in her pee which meant that her kidneys were bleeding still no okay she has lupus it was okay why is her kindeys bleeding after iron pills and a healthy change in her diet it seem like things were getting better till about a month after her 12th birthday she had about 8 seizures in one night thats when childrens hosp. told us she had lupus she was on chemo, and many diff. meds including a very strict diet which was the hardest thing for her becasue she loved her cheeseburgers and honey bbq wing from KFC. i watched my daughter blow up from the  streroids they had her on her energy was nothing her depression was strong then in december at christmas time she caught a cold and it turn into PCP phno. we thought she was going to beat this but the lupus attacked her kindeys so badly that she now had kidney diesease so when we were hoping and praying for her to get better the lupus moved on to her lungs which never allwoed us to heal them she went onto a ventilator so she could rest because all her energy was going to breathing.....she never came off the ventilator and two days before she died we found out that the lupus had moved onto her brain and even if she got offf the ventilator she would not be her again...........so please dont think that lupus wont hurt your heart it attacks all major organs and it will kill you it killed my almost 13 years old daughter and not one day goes by that I dont think what else could i have done to help her!!
Helpful - 0
So many good posts here! I understand that with lupus, in it's worst form, full blown systemic lupus, the body doesn't recognize it's own tissue and it leaves the connective tissue and soft tissue organs at the highest risk ~ the liver, kidneys, and heart. I think of it in terms of being like the opposite of aids ~ lupus is an autoimmune disorder where your immune system doesn't recognize it's own cells. So it attacks your own cells when left untreated. The plaquenil acts as an immunosuppressant. I have however, now had a horrible chest cold for about ten days ~ and it dawns on me that if I stopped the plaquenil for a few days the cold would probably go away! Dang, it's such a catch .22
Best Regards ~
Helpful - 0
Hi Freedom,
I may be wrong, but I don't think Plaquinel works by suppressing the immune system.  Prednisone does.  I'll have to do more research to be certain.  I do know that vit. C really helps me fight off a cold,  if I catch it early.  
Kara
Helpful - 0
All of us grieve at the loss of your daughter.  I know you are going through a lot right now, but I want you to encourage you to find your strength in the Lord.  He really is the only ONE who can help you through all that you are going through.  

Try to spend time reading the Bible, especially the New Testement.  And just talk to God...you can tell Him anything.  He really and truely wants to be there for you...and we do too.  

Thank you for making us aware of this.  I am praying for you and believe that God's love for you will prove strong in this time of grief and life's struggles.

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of ALL comfort; who comforts us in ALL our tribulation, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the same comfort we ourselves have received from God.  
2 Corinthians 1:3-4
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Lupus Community

Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?