my eleven year old has elevated ana and severe pain in stomache and joints could this be lupus

My eleven year old son has had stomache issues for years it started with what seemed like severe motion sickness, and being very intollerant of foods (would vomit twice a week at dinner time) but he was to young to tell us much by ten years old he was vomiting daily the dr told us he was emotional and upsetting himself.  soon it was screaming in the morning because "everything hurt" and at night dry heaving for hours or vomiting for hours with red swollen joints (knees, ankles, wrists, and severe pain in hips and shoulders that he described as burning) Finally five specialist later his gp did blood work that came back with elevated ana elevated rhuematoid factor and low white count and made us an appointment with a specialist while we are waiting for weeks for that appointment the pain gets worse daily and so does the vomiting but when we went to er they repeated the test and all were normal.  I am at a loss he is in so much pain he wont do the things he used to love so I know he is telling the truth but then by the time we get into a dr he is having a good day and they act like I am crazy.  Does anyone have any advice
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Look up celiac disease.  Try a gluten free diet.  It has done wonders for many people.
Helpful - 0
I was going to say the same thing. A gluten allergy can really screw one up. You can experiment with this at home with no medication and see what happens. There is no harm in trying. I had a person with a gluten allergy live with us for a while and learned quite a bit about it and how to avoid gluten, especially when you cook. Once you get the hang of it, it's not so hard.

I wonder sometime if many of us Lupies don't just have a gluten sensitivity! Maybe going gluten-free would do wonders for many of us.
Helpful - 0
We have been Gluten free for fivemonths and although at first it seemed to lessen the vomiting soon it returned only worse I am very careful because even Nesquik has wheat so I may be missing some but I dont think so we have moved to an almost exclusive diet of deer meat (I heard sometimes beef is feed things that can cause problems) and still nothing.  The dr said he has classic lupus, rheumatoid and fibromyalgia symptoms with blood work to match however given his age and that he is a boy they wanted to do further testing the tests from last friday came back again positive (elevated)  I feel like I am going crazy he is up all night crying and in the morning has a very hard time walking I am scared to give him all the meds they put him on.  
Helpful - 0
Try the meds for a while at least to get him feeling better. Then maybe discuss with the doctor about cutting them back. I don't think they would prescribe a child meds they don't really need. He sounds very uncomfortable be thankful he is getting help! I went undiagnosed, thus UNTREATED for 10 years and so do many many others on this board. So if he gets diagnosed this early and gets something to HELP him, at least try it.

You can also get a 2nd opinion about the meds from your pharmacist. I have a pharmacist friend and we ask him about everything and he is more than happy to tell us stuff the doctors don't always tell; side effects, what exactly it does, what we do and don't really need.
Helpful - 0
I'm sure the doctors have told you that autoimmune disease is much more common in females.  So I'm wondering if your son has a hormone imbalance.  Is it possible he's not producing enough testosterone.  Boys need a healthy supply of zinc to keep testosterone levels up.  Puberty increases the need for zinc.  Zinc is crucial for homrone balance.  Look up sources of zinc - red meat being one of the best of them.  Many people get white specks on their fingernails when zinc is low.  Mention this to the doctor.  Many of his symptoms (notion sickness, nausea, etc. ) might be from high copper and low zinc.  Copper and zinc are on a seesaw together.  When one goes up the other goes down.  I've been doing a lot of research on my kids problems and ran across this fact.    Hope someone is able to help you.  Good luck
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Lupus Community

Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?