see another doctor?

I got tested years ago for lupus and it came out negative, however I have heard that there are different tests to better diagnose it and that one test may not show it. I do not like the way my doctor has not been listning to me. They didn't even properly diagnose me when I had mono about a month ago! He just does not listen to me. Should I try a new doctor? I'm worried that mine will not give me the other tests. And can lupus develop or show more over time? I have most of the symptoms of it and I do not know what else they could be. I recently researced itchy palms on this site and some others and one of the first things I found was that it could be related to lupus. I just don't know what I should do and what tests I should get.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Itchy palms could mean your liver is swollen.  That can also be from Autoimmune Hepatitis.  If I were you, I'd get another doctor.  I don't know what kind of insurance you have, but if you can get to a Rheumatologist, that's the "expert" on Lupus and other autoimmune diseases.  There are many, many blood tests to pinpoint what type of autoimmune disease you may have, if any.  

Do you have more trouble after spending a day in the sun??  Go to mayoclinic ******* and see what they have for you to read on it.  Also, lupus dot org.  

Let us know what you end up with on the results.  
Helpful - 0
yeah the sun makes me really tired and dizzy if Im out in it for too long. I always just want to go and take a nap after a while at the beach and stuff. I do get a burn across my cheeks and nose often too, but it doesn't have the raised edges that I've read about with lupus. so Im not sure if thats a symptom or if it's just that I burn easily there. Thank you for your help!
Helpful - 0
I have the red butterfly rash on my cheeks, and it's not raised or itchy.  there are websites that say it can just look like a blushing.  That's all i've had and the nurse practicioner saw that and said, "Wooh!  I think you might have Lupus!"  She was the first and only one to get me the tests and say I was positive for lupus.  After that, I was told NO by every doctor after that, for 9 years, until June of this year, when the Rheumatologist finally said yes, you have Lupus and Sjogrens, and AIH.  She was upset that nobody treated me before this.  Your symptoms sure do match Lupus.  
Helpful - 0
Yeah they call lupus the Wolf disease because of the 'mask' we can get on our face. I have discoid lupus but never had the 'butterfly' rash. But I Did have the inflammation and itching on the palms of my hands, back of my hands and fingers for a long time ~ my upper shoulders, upper back, neck, face, and length of arms all developed itchy lesions also until I was treated with a short term steroid treatment and began taking plaquenil.
It's too bad you don't think your doc w/check this out for you! My discoid diagnosis came after a dermatologist did a skin biopsy, immunofluorescent stain test on the tissue from a lesion. The heat, sun, and hormone changes every two weeks just knock me in the dirt. I have to try to sleep 7-8 hrs a night regularly, but with my lupus it seems I have a hard time sleeping specifically during these times. So keep your strenth up by exercising when you can, walking or something. Then when you get exhausted by sun exposure or something, you've got some reserves to draw from.
There's some great people in this forum ~ hang in there, and keep coming back for info and support. Peace & Respect ~
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Lupus Community

Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?