A
A
A
Close
Lupus Community
1.43k Members
400099 tn?1282958464

sun and flare ups

I have lupus as well as MS. I was recently away and stupidly sat on the balcony without sunblock for an hour. Could that be  the reason I am suddenly even more fatigued and feeling feverish at night? I can't believe I did that...dumb dumb dumb. Fortunately for me, lupus is rather mild, although internist says the kidney disease I have (which is in control) is related to lupus. Also had a headache for 3 days afterwards.
4 Responses
434278 tn?1324709825
I know w/ lupus it seems that certain things can trigger flares.  When I get sick, it sometimes will trigger one.  And it seems I can't come out of it.  With me, sun exposure can cause some symptoms, but after a day or two I'm OK.  

Were you dx w/ MS first or lupus.  I've honestly wondered if I have both.  If you could send me a personal message on the difference between the two because I know that lupus can cause neurological symptoms when it attacks the nervous system.  
I went to my endocrinologist yesterday.He thinks I have lupus..but says he cant diagnose me with it cause hes not a rhumy.But hes good friends with my neurologist so hes gunna talk with him.But about the ms..I have alot of things that are more in tune with ms-including lesions on my mri.But  I guess theyre gunna swing with lupus as mt sis has it.And when I get out of a hot bath..I can hardly move.I was diagnosed with fibro and cfs,but like I said,more ms symtoms than not.
434278 tn?1324709825
check this out

www.ahummingbirdsguide.com/mevsms.htm

A real eye opener!  You won't look at cfs the same after reading this.
Hi there -
Wanted to add that being exposed to UV rays (whether from sun or artificial) is the NUMBER ONE trigger for a lupus flare, and is a hallmark symptom.  It can cause not only skin symptoms, but triggers the antibodies that can cause a VERY serious flare (if you have organ involvement, it can trigger a flare there as well).  I become VERY ILL if unprotected in the sun, even if just for a half hour or so.
So - please be careful and follow the guidelines of the LFA - wear stong SPF protection as well as a hat whenever possible when being out in the sun.  For the best sunscreens, go to the LFA website for the list of the most effective ones...Good luck.
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.