what could this be?

Since October of 2010 I have had a cough.  Doctors prescribed Flonase saying it was allergies.  However, I am curious because when the cough starts I can feel it in my lungs not my throat and after coughing for about two or three hours I always cough something up.  Sometimes green and sometimes white.  After that cough settles down and my lungs clear up but feel exhausted. what could this be?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I, too have coughed since October of 2010.  At first I went through a round of bronchitis and pneumonia.  I have lupus and type 1 diabetes.  Since it takes me longer to heal my doctor just kept giving me antibiotics. After that, she suggested I see a pulmonologist.  He did a chest x-ray and tested me for whooping cough (pertussis).  He then decided that it was probably allergies or asthma and gave me nose spray, steroids for a week and an inhaler.  Nothing worked.  I finally went to an ENT who scoped my throat this morning and he discovered that my TONSILS were huge!  I am back on steroids and Augmentin (antibiotic) for 10 days. The cough was just so bad and got to the point of gagging.  So, my advice would be to keep looking for the problem.  If this doesn't work, I'm back to the doctor...I just have to stop coughing!  I hope this helps....  
Helpful - 0
Hi.
I would say the next time you start coughing up the green phlegm, then take a sample to your doctor and have it checked for the organasism, or bacteria, which maybe causing this.
That way they can see what is causing this if it bacteria it can be cleared up with the right antibiotic, to tackle the bacteria.

If that is not the cause, then i am saying Lupus can affect the lungs in numerous ways, pnuemonitis, pleuritic, breathing problems, etc, etc,
This maybe connected to the Lupus, so i would mention this problem to the rheumy.

Good Luck
Nicola
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Lupus Community

Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?