Aa
A
A
A
Close
Lyme Disease Community
2.12k Members

CDC: Cut Back on Doxycycline Use---EXCEPT FOR-----read below....

I'm having trouble believing what I'm reading in this MedPage article:
Is the CDC actually saying that they approve taking doxy 'upon tick bite'?

HUH?

Assuming that means if there is a bulls-eye or rash around the tick bite it's still mind-boggling that the CDC recommends doxy immediately before tests. And I'm sure it might mean just a one time dose of ?? mg but---- have I been asleep at the wheel and missed this?

This article was written by a staff writer who may not be aware of all the ins and outs of treatment or non-treatment for Lyme. Just doin' his job.

snips
"A continuing shortage of doxycycline means the drug should be used only for conditions that have no alternative treatments, the CDC advised this week."

"The CDC recommended that healthcare professionals limit use of the short-supply drugs to the following uses:

Treatment of rickettsial infections
Prophylaxis against Lyme disease following a tick bite
Prophylaxis and treatment of malaria, "according to the standard recommendations"

"In rickettsial infections, such as Rocky Mountain spotted fever and anaplasmosis, patients of all ages should receive doxycycline to prevent severe morbidity and mortality. The CDC warned that delaying treatment until test results are in is "highly contraindicated." Other broad-spectrum antibiotics are ineffective at treating such conditions."

CDC: Cut Back on Doxycycline Use
By Cole Petrochko, Staff Writer, MedPage Today
Published: June 14, 2013

http://tinyurl.com/mmvnvvx
0 Responses
Have an Answer?
Top Infectious Diseases Answerers
1415174 tn?1453243103
CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
Before your drop a dime at the pharmacy, find out if these popular cold and flu home remedies are a wonder or a waste
Fend off colds and the flu with these disease-fighting foods