Lyme Disease Community

Diet Soda, Anyone ? (Poll)

I've been meaning to do this, but had forgotten about it (imagine that!). I had a friend whose wife had MS symptoms and none of her physicians could diagnose her. It turned out that aspartame, a sweetner that is often added to diet drinks, was responsible for her symptoms ! Aspartame apparently has been banned in Europe in children's products.

Anyhow, so here's my new poll question :

How many people here are drinking DIET sodas ?

http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-side-effects.html
http://www.sweetpoison.com/articles/0706/aspartame_symptoms_submit.html --- Aspartame Symptoms Submitted to the FDA

I'm not sure now which diet drinks are still using aspartame, but if you drink diet soda... I would seriously start checking.
As a counterpoint, this has been widely established to be a hoax.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp

(or if that link doesn't show up, google "hoax MS aspartame.")

Also, consider that MS existed before diet soda.

I don't agrue that the long-term effects of diet soda and other products with these sweeteners on health are not clearly established (some, like sucralose, haven't been on the market long enough for us to know how the general population will react).

I decided last spring to quit all art. sweeteners, mainly becuase I think they make it harder for me to control my appetite.

Interesting ! Well the claim on the link you listed (I love snopes.com.. btw) says, "the artificial sweetner has been proved responsible for an epidemic of cancer, brain tumors and MS."  I actually agree that it has NOT been proven.

In my friend's wife's case... she had MS symptoms and after she stopped drinking diet soda (with aspartame), her symptoms had disappeared.

It appears that the controversy is still going on. I did find an article by the BBC that aspartame is not linked to cancer... but what about neurological symptoms ?

So the debate will continue. I avoid diet sodas and try to avoid sodas altogether.
I'm very glad your acquaintance was so readily able to improve her symptom load by this simple dietary modification.

It hits a nerve in me (no pun intended (-:) because I've gotten emails about this nonstop since my issues began.  It's difficult when (though well-meaning) friends think all of your problems can be so easily solved.

When I did quit sweeteners in the spring, I admit I did it in part to test if I'd be lucky enough to experience any notable improvment.  It didn't help my sensory symptoms to improve, however I did learn how my appetite was affected.

I also avoid all sodas (though I do somethimes get "wild" and have some seltzer).

Based on the snopes article, I also figure it must be a hoax. I recall the safely allowed limit is rather huge, I can't imagine anyone going over what the FDA considers the safe limit. IIRC the potential issue was over heating it until it broke down giving methanol, or something like that.  Assuming the 0.1% chance that there might be something to this, I also tried quitting aspartame. I'm disappointed to say that in my case I saw zero improvement in my symptoms after I quit it. But it was low hanging fruit so I couldn't resist.

I don't know what to make of folks on the web claiming improvement. Placebo?

It's not a hoax. I just mentioned that my friend's wife was having MS symptoms and those symptoms stopped after drinking diet sodas with aspartame.

The e-mail that snopes.com investigated was inaccurate, but there are STILL problems with aspartame and this is why Europe has banned it in children. The snopes post had nothing to do with side effects from aspartame and MS LIKE symptoms.

From Dr. Joseph Mercola's website:

http://www.mercola.com/article/aspartame/dangers.htm
Aspartame Controversy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame_controversy

The debate is still continuing folks !
Again, to counterpoint:  While I'm very happy for the friend's wife, that is a single testimonial that can't be verified by anyone reading this.

Dr. Joseph Mercola is not an MD, he is a DO (he holds a doctorate in osteopathic medicine).  I did a very quick search on him, and immediately found a hit for him on quackwatch.org.  I am not in general familiar with him, I mention this only because he is indicated to be an expert above.

Wikipedia is written by volunteers, and the article posted about the Aspartame Controversy is flagged because its neutrality is disputed.

I'm not an MD, and I have no specific knowledge of aspartame.  I just feel some of the claims and references on this thread may be unbalanced.

To each their own, and to all, be well.

I actually disagree with you... probably because Europe had banned aspartame for children and because of my friend's wife experience. The link you provided from snopes... made claims about aspartame that I did not make.

Although, Wikipedia is written by volunteers... there are sources on their website. And although Dr. Mercola is not an MD (which may be a good thing.. LOL!) he wrote a New York Times best selling book on artificial sweetners.

Interesting how Stevia is banned in Europe and yet it is on the shelves in every grocery store here in the U.S.

Want to hear something really disgusting ? Toxins in laundry detergents and air fresheners.

"The European Union recently enacted legislation requiring products to list 26 fragrance chemicals when they are present above a certain concentration in cosmetic products and detergents. No similar laws exist in the United States."

Some Sources:

http://www.immunesupport.com/library/showarticle.cfm?id=3026&T=HEALTH&B1=EM082008F

http://health.msn.com/health-topics/cancer/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100216588

http://www.mercola.com/article/aspartame/fraud.htm

P.S. ~ I like doing research and so I was reading more information on aspartame. It looks like at some point Indonesia was trying to ban the product. It seems like in most people, it is okay. But if you exceed the average limit... then perhaps not ? In some people, it is certainly not okay (like my friend's wife).

I'm avoiding it altogether. I'm not interested in many of these "diet" products anyway. I mean... people in France don't have all of this **** in their food and they aren't as overweight as Americans. My mom was also telling me how in the '70's... American's weighed less, but ate real food (real butter, real milk... no low fat stuff).
I'm not sure with what you are disagreeing.  I posed no opinion on the safety of aspartame, I just commented on your sources.

I don't know the basis of the bans in Europe, though that is surely interesting!  However, that in and of itself does not prove the danger of those products.  

I never tried Stevia.  I actually bought a jar when I first quit art. sweeteners, thinking I'd need it, but I quickly adapted to unsweet tea.

I do appreciate all of the information you provide, and I agree that sometimes good answers are found off of the beaten path.
Sorry Wonko, but you’ll find Quackwatch can be just as biased as Wikipedia.

Here are a few samples taken from their page on Lyme:

“The DRUG-SEEKING BEHAVIORS OF SELF-DESCRIBED CHRONIC LYME PATIENTS and the prescribing practices of many “Lyme Literate doctors” remain at odds with published research.” (emphasis mine)
---Yeah, don’t we just love soaking in antibiotics! Me, I get a kick from the heartburn and the nausea.

“In October 2006, the Infectious Diseases Society of America published GUIDELINES FOR EFFECTIVE INTRAVENOUS (AND ORAL) ANTIBIOTIC REGIMENS to treat various manifestations of Lyme disease. Published treatment guidelines provide important navigation aids for both physicians and patients.”
---14 to 28 days of Doxy is an effective Lyme regimen, really?

“The topic of pregnancy and Lyme is also rife with rumor and unnecessary fear. A recent review of case reports and other research FOUND NO SPECIFIC PATTERNS OF FETAL MALFORMATION OR ADVERSE EVENTS IN PREGNANCY.”
---They obviously haven’t watched "Under Our Skin".

“The fact that Lyme disease is READILY CURABLE has not discouraged the formation of over a hundred support groups and nonprofit foundations.”
---Early-stage Lyme can be readily curable, not the chronic form, unfortunately.

"Chronic Lyme disease" remains the favored term of support groups and patient advocates, BUT HAS NO BASIS IN MEDICAL FACT OR PRACTICE.

----------------------
I wouldn’t be surprised to hear this nonsense was written by M. Steere and friends.

----------------------
Re aspartame: The documentary “Aspartame - Sweet Misery, A Poisoned World” is a real eye opener.
PS: "Sweet Misery, A Poisoned World" can be found on YouTube.