Aa
A
A
A
Close
Lyme Disease Community
2.11k Members

Doxycycline and Dairy

I was just diagnosed with lyme disease and will be taking Doxycycline for 30 days.  Can anyone tell me if I must avoid dairy entirely or just avoid it a couple of hours before and after taking this antibiotics?
Thanks.
26 Responses
2 hours distance should be fine, but I did read something online saying some people need longer than this if their digestive system is slower than average.
You need to avoid other foods rich in calcium too, it's the calcium that blocks absorption.
There is a link posted to a recent article on this forum that includes this very topic.  It is indeed calcium that is the issue, so no calcium rich foods or supplements within 2-3 hours of a dose.  You might Google "dairy rich foods" to see what else to restrict.

I am starting Doxy tomorrow (twice a day), so I will be limiting my dairy and calcium supplements to lunch time. I am going to have to put a note in the fridge so I don't forget (a frequent occurrence).  I love cheese!
Thank you for the reply.
Thanks ricobord.  Problem is I am a vegetarian and depend on cheeses, yogurt and dairy.  If I wait 2-3 hours I should be safe, correct.
I think 3 hours should be fine.
You could keep rice milk in the fridge so at least you can use that in tea and coffee when you're in the no dairy zone. Just check you're not buying one "enriched with calcium".
And I guess you could prowl around the supermarket looking for dairy alternatives. gg custard is good nutritionally instead of yoghurt, provided you make it yourself with real eggs.
I am so pleased to have found this website.  It appears that many of you are very knowledgeable in this disease.  Since my diagnosis is less than a week old am spending hours on the internet doing research on the subject.  The information out there is overwhelming and apparently controversial.  Will do my best to sift though the piles of data as well as rely on some of you well informed participants on this website.  You will be hearing from me again and again with what may appear to be baby step questions so please bare with this neophyte.  In the meantime have a great week-end all.
Have an Answer?
Top Infectious Diseases Answerers
1415174 tn?1453246703
CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
Before your drop a dime at the pharmacy, find out if these popular cold and flu home remedies are a wonder or a waste
Fend off colds and the flu with these disease-fighting foods