A
A
A
Close
Lyme Disease Community
2.12k Members

Hypothyroidism due to Lyme?

Hi,

Could hypothyroidism be potentially caused by Lyme?

Thanks
3 Responses
To my understanding, Lyme disease often messes with the endocrine [hormonal] system, including thyroid activity.  When I had Lyme, my doc put me on thyroid supplements for a brief while till the Lyme was gone, and my own system recovered.  Since then, almost ten years later, I remain fine.  
To my understanding, Lyme often affects the endocrine (hormone) system, which includes thyroid function, so yes, thyroid function could be suppressed by Lyme.  Have you spoken with your Lyme doc about it?  If there is low thyroid function, it can be easily balanced with thyroid meds until the Lyme is gone.
1 Comments
ooops double post!  my error.
Thanks Jackie, I've got an appointment next week so will speak to him about the link
2 Comments
Let us know how it goes!  This could be valuable information for others.  Thanks, and fingers crossed for you -- !  
I will, thank you Jackie
Have an Answer?
Top Infectious Diseases Answerers
1415174 tn?1453243103
CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
Before your drop a dime at the pharmacy, find out if these popular cold and flu home remedies are a wonder or a waste
Fend off colds and the flu with these disease-fighting foods