Lyme Disease Community

Lyme Diet

I am having a problem with following any type  of diet...Not sure what to eat. I pretty much eat whatever I want eventhough I know I have to change that.

Can anyone give me a briefing on what you eat? Do you have to eat all organic? What type of sugar, is equal ok?, Do I reallyy have to give up coffee???

I don't like this part at all!! Does anyone have a basic quick list to refer to for me?? I have been searching and so far everything I have to buy,,, funds are not that great right now, so I am trying to get my hands on some kind of quick list without having to buy a book. Thanks guys so much!!

Pam
Pam,

Try just googling --

lyme diet

-- there are lots of links to websites, tho of course you have to wear your skeptical hat when reading them.

One of the hits I got from that search was Dr Ken Singleton's website, so there are some docs out there who address the issue.  

I think some people w Lyme have more digestive system symptoms than others, and I got lucky that way, I don't have particular issues ... but I did get a really bad systemic yeast infection a while back and so stripped down my diet to get rid of most prepared foods, and I find that by eating a very clean diet (mostly fresh foods), I feel much much better than before, but hard to draw absolute cause and effect.  I skip dairy and wheat, but that is just me.  Fruit, but no refined sugar at all.  Everybody's different, tho.
I had my diet so cut down that I was losing too much weight. I dropped 30 pounds in three months and didn't look well.

It is also because I was having such intense nausea and digestive issues...likely from the doxy.

My doctor mandates a yeast free and sugar free diet.  My naturopath said no wheat and dairy...I really try to limit it the best I can. Sometimes when I am starvin Marvin, I have a wrap sandwich or something with wheat.  

I now see how addicted to sugar that I was.  It was a risk -benefit thing for me.  I want my health back so badly that I am willing to give stuff up...it wasn't so bad once I made the commitment.  

For bread you can get Ezekiel bread...you buy it frozen, it is wheat free and just a tiny bit of yeast.  

When my stomach is good, I drink black coffee.  

I love coffee. :)

So her is a list of the things I eat...

eggs
sugar free oatmeal with honey
ezekiel bread
almond butter
rice crackers
rice chips
rice wraps
fruits veggie...organic if I can afford it
liverwurst
protein/meat
lots of nuts
salad with lemon and oil

No vinager stuff..pickles, olives
No soy sauce

It was tricky at first, but I am getting better at it. I find I buy more expensive health food.store food...but less of it.  

There are lots of healthy alternatives...there is pop sweetened with stevia (totally natural) tastes great, xylitol gum

Little steps at a time work...a health food store has awesome alternatives to things you love.  I know it is expensive, you just have to buy less of it.

Good luck!
Also, I am learning to alter recipes.  Honey makes a great sweetener...
You have to watch out for hidden sugars in bbq sauce ketchup...

It is tough, but I feel better about myself in general.  I was a foodie...ok I loved to pig out. ... I feel better about myself because I am disciplined for the first time. Trust me..if I can do it, you can do it.
Well said, Ness.  Your diet sounds a lot like what I eat too.

Have you tried quinoa (KEEN-wah)?  It's a seed that is grain-like -- zero wheat!  I like it esp. bec. it has all the seven essential amino acids the body can't make, and my hair and skin are much improved when I eat quinoa a couple times a week.

Whole Foods has quinoa, and other stores too -- I often shop at Safeway, which has a lot of good stuff for better prices than Whole Foods.  Safeway's vegetables seem to be several days older than veggies elsewhere, so I usually go to a local grocery a couple times a week to stock up on fresh veg and fruit.  The price isn't much different, but the quality is.

Right now, I'm dribbling dinner on my keyboard:  red rice, olive oil, sea salt, garbanzo beans (=chick peas) and frozen peas.  It provides a complete protein bec. of the combo of rice and beans.    

I also eat an egg just about every day, and fish (either canned or fresh) a couple times a week usually too.  I eat all I want, and I have lost all the extra weight I gained when I was so sick ... now I'm back to what I used to weigh.
hi there,

here are $.02 from the peanut gallery:

when i asked the new LLND i'm working with about the best dietary approach i should take, he said the paleo diet is the best way to go, with brown rice and quinoa being the only grains i should be eating.  basically very low fat/lean meat & fish with lots of allergies.  i have a sensitivity to eggs according to the food allergy panel he ran, so i'm avoiding them which is very difficult.

blessings to you.

p.s.

he also said sugar feeds the bugs and to avoid it as much as possible--even limiting high sugar fruits such as bananas and mango to one or two a week.  for me, this has been very challenging as i am a sugar junkie.

it has also been revealed that i carry a genotype showing multi-sensitivity to toxins so he stressed the importance of eating organic and being *very* careful with my fish selection.  

take good care.