demylination on MRI

Has anyone had this on a brain mri?  My friend has tested lyme pos. but they need to r/o MS based upon this mri?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
My MRI's have been normal but from what I have researched demyelinating lesions on MRI can look the same in MS and lyme.  Lyme causes MS-like lesions.
Helpful - 0
What is Lyme?
Helpful - 0
Lyme disease is a bacterial infection in the blood.  You can get it from a tick bite, but only if the tick has Lyme already.

Often people who get a bite from an infected tick get a reddish rash that expands out into a circle shape around the bite area.  Not everyone gets the rash, though.

Doctors are still trying to understand Lyme disease, and there different opinions about who has Lyme and how to treat it.

Your profile says you are 14 years old.  If you have concerns about Lyme disease, you should speak to your parents or guardians, and/or to your doctor.  If you have Lyme disease, getting treated as soon as possible after the tick bite is important.  The treatment is antibiotic medicine, like you would get for other infections like an ear-ache, but your doctor has to do some tests to be sure you get the right medicine for whatever illness you have.
Helpful - 0
I have one lesion on MRI, in my corpus callosum.  It was non-enhancing and the note was "could be demyelinating lesion, MS lesion".  But, MS is multiple sclerosis AKA multiple plaques.  Therefore, I have only one lesion, which does not meet diagnostic criteria for MS.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Lyme Disease Community