Small immovable lumps on right side of neck?

About 3 weeks ago, I noticed a small sore lump half way down my neck, on the side just behind the right ear. After a few days it stopped hurting, but the hard immovable lump stayed (about the width of 2 fingertips). Then, a couple of days ago, I woke up at 3-4am and felt another sore spot, this time more on the front and a little closer to the collarbone, but still on the right side. This is still sore to touch.

Now I might be wrong of course, but I've read that these are probably lymph nodes, swollen because of an infection, maybe a cold. I've been feeling a little ill on and off for a few weeks, headaches and coughing and a couple of times felt like I had a fever, but after 2 or 3 200mg ibuprofen pills I felt fine. Getting small colds every now and then during winter time isn't too out of the ordinary for me, though.

Today, however, my throat feels especially sore and swollen, and I tried to peek further into my mouth to see if there is something unusual. I snapped a couple of pictures and attached one to this post. I think you can see that something in there is swollen, with yellow splotches mostly on the left side (well, right side in the picture), behind the teeth. (Also, not sure if the roof of my mouth looks normal?)

This might not be important, but I want to mention everything, in case it might be connected in some way. A little less than two weeks ago, (possibly due to some sexual action), the nipple on my left breast suddenly started feeling very sore and hurting to the slightest touch, the area around the nipple became red and swollen for about a week and I felt a hard lump under the skin just under the nipple. I was worried it might be breast infection, but it has gone back to normal by now.

I'm slightly worried if I should see a doctor about my throat and lumps, or will it go away by itself / with home treatment? What could/should I do?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I am 20 years old, if that matters.
Helpful - 0
Um, one more update: both of my submandibular glands are swollen and kinda sore to touch.
Helpful - 0
or... I'm sorry, may not be glands, rather lymph nodes... located under the jaw on both sides on the front side of the neck
Helpful - 0
Hi!
In all probability you could be suffering from tonsillitis and pharyngitis or sore throat. This inflammation and infection can cause lymph nodes to swell under the jaw and in the neck.
Usually you would need a course of antibiotics, anti-inflammatory medications like Tylenol or ibuprofen, and gargling with warm water to which a pinch of salt is added. Drinking warm clear soups and warm lemonade also helps.
Please consult your PCP. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Lymphedema Community

New study links cell phones to slightly increased cancer risk. Should you be concerned?
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.