toddler cellulitis

My 2.5 year old son keeps getting abscesses that get diagnosed as cellulitis.  He gets at least one every other month and its starting to worry me.  I keep him clean, bathed everyday, cut his fingernails often and is otherwise quite healthy.  His pediatrician says that many people get them but the frequency is starting to be ridiculous!  They start as small pimple-like and in a matter of 24hours can grow to 1-1.5 inches in diameter.  Does my son have some kind of immune system deficiency that the ped is unaware of?  Any feed back is appreciated especially on how do I prevent this infections from turning into painful abcsesses?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
So sorry to hear about your son.  My granddaughter who is 21 years old has been to the doctor three times within the last month with redness and terrible pain in her leg.  The first time this happened it was on a Sunday.  She went to the emergency room at the hospital and was told it was "Cellulitis".   The doctor gave her antibiotics and pain medication and drew a circle around the red area, telling her if the redness spread more than an inch from the line drawn to come back to the emergency room immediately.

The second and third time she went to her doctor and was diagnosed the same.  The doctor wanted to take a culture; however, my granddaughter said her leg hurt so badly she could not stand to have it cut.  She was told to use hot compresses which she did and each time the places came to a head (looked like boils).  I have really been concerned and have pulled up information on the computer.  The way I understand it from what I have read in articles I pulled up Cellulitis is caused by bacteria infection in the skin (like Staph) and can be very dangerous as it can cause Septis and get in the bloodstream.  I suggest you really question the doctor and find out if he can tell you what can be done to correct the situation.  

I want her to go to a "Dermatologist" to see if they can help her.

These places just seem to pop up suddenly.

I can't really tell you anything; however, will post you if and when I do find something out as to what is going on with her body.

Your child  will certainly be in my prayers.

I know this is not much; however, if I can be of help, let me know.

Helpful - 0
We are having the exact same problem! Our son is nearing his 3rd birthday, and is scarred from the cellulitis/absesses. We thought they were bug bites that got infected, but never complains of bites. We thought they were breaks in the skin caused by scratching that got infected. But I never see the anything but the tiny little pimple/bug-bite thing, then the next day it's worse and worse until he needs antibiotics, no matter what I do at home. Let me know if you discover the cause! Please.
***@****
Helpful - 0
Try keeping the skin bacteria-free with betadine and special baths. It has helped us immensely. Kids with fragile skin (like our son with eczema) are more prone to infection like this. we have been absess free for months!!!
Helpful - 0
ok i thought i was the only one with this prblem. my twins who are aproaching thier 3rd birthdays have been dealing with thes chronic infections. my daughter actually just went to the drs today for one. and they (infections) do seem to pop out of nowhere. my children are clean bathed and i use an otc surgical scrub (hibiclense) and we still get them. it has gotten to the point where we have to see an infectious disese specialist in syracuse ny
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Lymphedema Community

New study links cell phones to slightly increased cancer risk. Should you be concerned?
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.