Maternal Forum

Hemihypertrophy

Posted by Michelle on April 27, 1999 at 14:46:58
My daughter was diagnosed with hemihypertrophy when she was about 4 months old.  She is now 2 1/2 years old.   We have done all the screening, and this seems to be the only problem, other than doing routine ultrasounds.  My question is that lately towards the end of the day (especially when she has done alot of running around) she complain about her larger foot hurthing.  She has, on several occasions, been so bothered by it that she has cried.  I generally give her children's motrin and within a little while she is fine.  Is there anything that I should be conserned about, or are these just growing pains?

Posted by hfhs.m.d.l.m on April 29, 1999 at 23:53:37
Dear michelle ;
It may just be growing pains . Have you looked into the possibility of this hemihypertrophy being caused by a hemangioma . Pooling of blood in a cavernous hemangioma under the effect of gravity coupled with an active agenda may give a feeling of heaviness or discomfort on the affected side . The syndrome is called Proteus syndrome . Dermatologists and genetists have a great interest in this form of hemihypertrophy .
Thank you for your question
Disclaimer : this information is intended for educational purposes only.
Keywords : hemihypertrophy , proteus syndrome

Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments