Maternal Forum

Re: Hemihypertrophy

Posted By HFHS.MD-HSW on July 14, 1998 at 14:43:46:

In Reply to: Hemihypertrophy posted by Hilary O'Brien on June 20, 1998 at 12:05:13:

My four month old daughter has been diagnosed with having a condition called hemihypertrophy.  Please explain what this is and how it will effect her in the future. Thanks
=

Dear Hilary:
True hemihypertrophy or relative enlargement of one or more parts of one side of the body (usually legs or feet) is occasionally associated with the subsequent development of certain solid tumors and leukemia.  Appropriate screening and follow-up are very important. Hemihypertrophy must be distinguished from hemiatrophy (one or more parts of one side of the body is/are unusually small). Hemiatrophy is not associated with subsequent malignancy.  
I do want to reassure you that if an associated malignancy is detected early, treatment is very likely to be successful.
Your child's pediatrician will be able to arrange for appropriate screening and follow-up. If you would like more information from the Henry Ford Medical Group, I would recommend you call Dr. Hassan Yaish, our pediatric hematologist-oncologist at (313) 876-3138.
This information is provided for educational purposes only. I hope you find it useful.
HFHS.MD-HSW

Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments