Maternal Forum

Re: Signs of Pregnancy

Posted By hfhs.md.rcs on October 22, 1998 at 18:54:26:

In Reply to: Signs of Pregnancy posted by Lisa on October 17, 1998 at 00:33:38:

I experienced some severe cramping two weeks ago- the following two days I felt fine and my boyfriend and I had sex.  My period is now late.  I've heard that sometimes when you ovulate, you can experience cramping-like symptoms.  Is that true?  I'm only one week late, but lately I've been experiencing mild cramping again and I still don't have my period.  My breasts are not tender or feeling different.  I feel tired sometimes and I've had increased bowel movements.  Usually, when I have my period I have increased bowel movements.  I've tested negative through a clinic (urine test).  Are any of these symptoms?  How long should I wait until I call my doctor again?
Dear Lisa:
The symptoms of early pregnancy include a missed menstrual flow; breast tenderness; nausea, more common in the morning than evening; frequency of urination and having to awaken from sleep to void; constipation; fatigue.
When a lady misses a menstrual period and has a negative pregnancy test, we usually do not repeat it more often than every 7-10 days. When one has 3 negative tests over a 21-30 day interval, we are confident that this is not pregnancy and other reasons for missing a period (such as dieting, increased exercise, or stress) are considered.
Keywords: missed menses
This information is provided for education purposes only and is not a medical consultation. If you have specific questions, please contact your physician.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments