Maternal Forum

X-RAYS DURING 1ST TRIMESTER

I was given a pelvic x-ray, chest x-ray & a sonogram during the first month of my pregnancy due to the lab giving a negative pregnancy reading on my blood tests in error.  Could this cause harm to the fetus?  
  Signed,
  A Very Concerned Mom-To-Be.
Dear K. Rhodes
Diagnostic X-rays have an energy level that is very far from the lowest dose that has ever been associated with any pregnancy/baby problems. Ultrasound does not delivery x-radiation. These studies will not affect your pregnancy outcome.
It is important to also know that 3% of all babies born in the USA have anomalies. Women over age 35 years of age have an increased risk of chromosmal anomalies. These risks are many fold higher than the risks associated with radiation exposure.
Keywords: X-rays, early pregnancy
This information is provided for education purposes and is not a medical consutlation. If you have specific questions, please contact your physician.

Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments