belly button pain

i am 30 weeks pregnant and today i started to have intense pain in and around my belly button and i am wondering if this is normal and what the cause of this pain is.  It is not a constant pain, it lasts about 5 minutes when i get it.  It feels like either stretching or tearing, but i have felt for fetal parts around my naval when i am having the pain and there are no legs or arms putting pressure on the area
  Thank you.
Dear April:
The umbilicus (belly button) is a place where there is little support to the wall of the abdomen. With stretching, pain in this area is not uncommon. If this is the only symptom, it comes and goes, and is not associated with anything pushing forward as a bulge, this is likely harmless.
Keywords: umbilical pain, pregnancy
This information isprovided for general education only and is not a medical consultation. If you have specific questions, please contact your physician.

Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Maternal Forum

Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments