Maternal Forum

pregnancy&kidney stones

i am seven weeks pregnant and also have kidney stones in my right kidney
  and i was wondwring if this would pose any threats to my pregnancy. i was told to avoid
  calcium but being pregnant you are supposed to increase calcium maybe you can ease my mind till i see my dr. which isnt till dec. 4
Dear Brandy:
Kidney stones are more common in men than women. When they occur in women, most have no explanation for their occurrence. A small number of women have a parathyroid gland problem that produces high levels of serum calcium.
In pregnancy, stones are more easily passed because of the normal dilation of the ureter. Stones rarely cause obstruction, but they can contribute to altered flow of urine that predisposes to infection.
Treatment in pregnancy by traditional urologoic surgery is safe. There are inadequate observations on the use of lithotripsy to break up stones to know the effect on pregnancy and hence this technology is not recommended.
Keywrods: renal stone, pregnancy.
This information is provided for education purposes and is not a medical consultation. If you have specific questions, please contact your physician.

Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments