MedHelp Social Community
1k Members

Favorite sit-down meal recipe, simple ingredients

Hey all;

I'm a meat eater, particularly large mammals ,-)

Here's a roast I do for large, formal dinners...I have some formal training, from a chef who specialized in German and Italian "peasant" cooking:

Pork and Beef Roll

Foodstuffs: 1 whole pork loin (8 - 9 lbs); 1 beef sirloin (4 - 5 lbs); 1 lg sweet onion - peel and slice thin, 12 lg garlic cloves - peel and crush; 2 t rubbed sage, 1 T ground white pepper, 1 T finely minced lemon zest, 1 1/2 t sweet paprika, 2 t smoked salt and 2 t fresh cracked black pepper, olive oil, 100% cotton butcher's cord, baking parchment

Method: Method: Preheat oven to 325F, cooking time will be 4 1/2 to 6 hours.

Take the pork loin and butterfly cut it so it lays flat like a book, cut the beef in like fashion; pound both lightly with a mallet.  When seasoning, make the spread as even as possible and work the spices into the meat with your fingers.  Season both sides of the beef with the smoked salt and black pepper, then spread the garlic over one side, sprinkle with paprika, set aside. Season one side of the pork with sage and white pepper to taste, turn over and spread the onion slices evenly over the unseasoned side, sprinkle with the lemon zest.  Place the beef atop the onions, garlic side up, one edge of the beef to one edge of the pork. Roll this up like a jelly roll (pork as the sponge cake, beef as the jelly). Secure by tying in at least five places with 100% cotton butcher's cord and wrap in the parchment. Place in a lightly oiled, covered roasting pan on a rack. Roast until the meat is at an internal temperature of 170F (use a meat thermometer).

Meal Suggestion: scallop chowder (New England clam chowder, but with scallops instead), lightly toasted whole wheat bread (tarragon butter), black olives (oil cured), sweet pickles (cukes, cauliflower and pearl onions) and a light bodied, white wine to start; fresh baked, dark rye bread (creamed honey), steamed carrot, celery and turnip slices (fresh parsley and butter), steamed spinach (lemon juice and olive oil) and full- bodied, red wine for the main course; apple tart with sharp Cheddar cheese and lightly spiced brown ale to finish.

12# of roast will yield about 24 (8 oz) - 32 (6 oz) - 48 (4 oz) servings.

My favorite food is Mexican and Italian. As Rachel Ray would say, "YUMMO!"
I love to eat, hate to cook. Need a chef but cannot afford one. Therefore its hamburgers and french fries at my house, alot! lol
Hey that chowder is right up my street, isnt it great to not worry about healthy eating at Holiday time it gets so boring being good and watching every mouthful... Again I have copied one of your recipes thanks a lot...can you let us have some more maybe on your journal or whatever.
As you have asked, so shall it be written ,-)

I have started a journal section at my home page.  It will be about cooking and brewing what I like to eat and drink.  All of it will be flavorful; some even healthy =)
Cooking need not be a task to dislike (save the inevitable clean-up ;-)

Neither does it need to be elaborate to be good.

For instance, today, because of the rain, I baked the pork chops instead of BBQing.  I'll simplify for less mess in the prep.

Foodstuffs: 8 large boneless, center cut pork chops (about 2# total), shakers of onion, garlic and sweet paprika powders, a little olive oil and a little semi-sweet white wine.

Method:  preheat oven to 350F.  Lightly oil a baking pan large enough to take the chops in a single layer.  Lightly season both sides of the pork with onion, garlic and paprika.  Place in the pan and cover with foil.  Bake for 30 minutes.  Take out, uncover and baste with the wine.  Bake  uncovered a further 15 - 20 minutes, until cooked through.  Color should be that nice "other white meat' look, no pink.

Warm a loaf of artisan bread in the oven during the last 10 minutes or so.  Warm a frozen, prepared veggie side dish or two in the microwave.  A little butter for the bread...

Voila, 1 pan cooking with little fuss, muss or bother.
ooooh brewing ,wow will turn it over to the husband to take a look do you brew your own then...
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.