MedHelp Social Community
1k Members

What is your favorite (non-monetary) family tradition?

Mine is that every Sunday as a child, we had a late lunch together.  My sister who was married came to eat with us, and we sat and had lunch together.  

Also, a close second was the times that my Mom and brother (who has CP), would sit and play Monopoly for hours - or Uno - or Gin Rummy.  Just hours and hours of playing together.  We alllllways let my brother win in the end, but it was so much fun.

What's yours?
Mine was on Sunday's also.  Every Sunday morning my family would go to church and then to Grandma's house.  Here we would meet up with aunts, uncles and cousins.  We would always have "buns" from Birritella bakery (My grandparents family business!)  We would go home singing hyms from Church...then my mom would make the Sunday "gravy" and we would smell the meatballs!!!  I would always have one before she put them in the gravy.  We would eat an early dinner (About 1 o'clock)...macaroni, of course, and then have a sandwich about 6-7 o'clock at night...I really miss it...too bad we don't recognize the memories we are creating and how much we will miss them when they end.
When my Grandmother was alive we always had all the aunts, uncles and cousins get together in the summer at our house for a pool party and at Christmas at my Aunt's place.  We had so much fun catching up and laughing together.  It is a shame that since she passed we no longer do that.

I was one of 6 kids and most Sunday's we would go for a ride in our big station wagon to the country to buy fresh fruits and vegetables from the farmers near Leamington, Ontario.  My Dad used to make my sister and I cry.  He'd see little run down shacks and yell out - "There's a house for Trudie!".  We used to think we'd actually have to go live there when we grew up.
It's sad that we have enjoyed traditions like that - but as we got older (at least on my part) have been SO busy with life that we didn't give traditions to our own children.  Myself, I have suffered for years with bipolar - undiagnosed, and now, I am seeing things more clearly after my diagnosis.  

I want to try to attempt to create some memories before it's too late.  I have a 19 year old and a 9 year old, and I want to start some traditions that leave a lasting impression on them.

My thinking is that those traditions and non-monetary things we did as children, create a strength in us as adults.    

It's funny to me that in my quest for making a living - the thing I cherish most is the non-monetary things.

Racheal
Hanging the Christmas lights at my dads house later in the day after our thanksgiving meal.  Watching him shake his head every time we turned them on and the same string of lights didnt work.  By the way they were marked as "not working" but god forbid we could throw them out!!!!  What i wouldnt do to have him back and see this all over again.
Wednesday evening's in our family is "family night". When my brothers and I were small we always went to my grandparents for dinner with our parents. It was always at my fathers parents house but my maternal grandparents came as well.

Sadly both Grandparents have since passed over but now it's my mothers turn. She has "family night" at her home. My brothers and their wives and children all come. We are 4 generations of Murrays at the dinner table each wednesday evening.

Some things come and go, but family night has been apart of my life for 48 years and was around before i was born and I hope it continues long after I am gone.  
decorating the house for every holiday.  love it
Every Saturday night is family game night.....Saturday after dinner is all cleaned up, we pick a game and play it that night.  Each week its someone elses turn to pick a game.  If there is company over they get the option of picking the game.  It ranges from board games, to video games, and even card games.  The only condition is that everyone has to play to win.  
I think with the economy in the state it is in right now - we are going to see a resurgence of the family night - at least, I hope so.

Maybe it's time for us all to slow down and enjoy each other and take the time we all need - family time.

Keep them coming - I think this is a wonderful thing to discuss.  It's interesting to hear everyone's family history and the things that make their family special to them.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.