Aa
A
A
A
Close
Medical Ethics Community
77 Members

Can a mental health prof do this?

I was dismissed from my mental health doctor before I even saw him.  My employer insurance changed so I had to change doctors.  Meanwhile, I was running out of my anxiety meds.  I missed my first appointment with a new doctor.  I was stressed and it was my birthday.  I didn't realize that I missed it unless the next evening.  It was a Friday night so I had to wait until Monday to call, apologize, and reschedule.  I called and left a message.  The doctor did not call back.  I called the next week and left another message.  He called and left me a message that because I missed my first appointment and 'didn't call', I needed to find a new doctor.  I hardly ever outright miss appointments without calling first.  I am in need of meds and starting to experience withdrawals.  Is this appropriate for a mental health professional to dismissing this circumstance?  He was aware that my insurance had changed and my meds would be running out soon.  I find it rude and dangerous behavior.  I guess he does not need the money that I would have made for him as his patient.
1 Responses
144586 tn?1284669764
Generally the first appointment is longer than usual...perhaps an hour or so. He had reserved this time, and could not schedule another Non-complient patients are a big issue. I do not find his behavior rude or dangerous. There are other professionals available. Find one where you start off on the right foot. A few days off anxiety medications won't hurt you.
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.