Medical Ethics Community
77 Members

Can a mental health prof do this?

I was dismissed from my mental health doctor before I even saw him.  My employer insurance changed so I had to change doctors.  Meanwhile, I was running out of my anxiety meds.  I missed my first appointment with a new doctor.  I was stressed and it was my birthday.  I didn't realize that I missed it unless the next evening.  It was a Friday night so I had to wait until Monday to call, apologize, and reschedule.  I called and left a message.  The doctor did not call back.  I called the next week and left another message.  He called and left me a message that because I missed my first appointment and 'didn't call', I needed to find a new doctor.  I hardly ever outright miss appointments without calling first.  I am in need of meds and starting to experience withdrawals.  Is this appropriate for a mental health professional to dismissing this circumstance?  He was aware that my insurance had changed and my meds would be running out soon.  I find it rude and dangerous behavior.  I guess he does not need the money that I would have made for him as his patient.
Generally the first appointment is longer than usual...perhaps an hour or so. He had reserved this time, and could not schedule another Non-complient patients are a big issue. I do not find his behavior rude or dangerous. There are other professionals available. Find one where you start off on the right foot. A few days off anxiety medications won't hurt you.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.