Medical Ethics Community
77 Members

Do labs pay kickbacks to doctors?

During a visit to my primary-care doctor, he really pushed a test that entails a mouth swab sent to a lab that uses your DNA to determine, among other things, likely drug interactions. I had to ask to learn that the test costs $3,000 and that not all insurance plans cover it, which made me wonder whether my doctor was receiving some financial incentive from the lab.

Two questions: Is that sort of arrangement common, and how do I politely ask my doctor whether he receives something from the lab for each test he administers? His answer would help me determine whether to switch doctors.
I would ask him/her outright. On the other hand, such a test can be very valuable, and is probably a good idea.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.
How eating more salt may actually save your life.