A
A
A
Close
Medullary Sponge Kidney Disease (MSK) Community
515 Members
872485 tn?1240607162

Any certain foods to avoid?

I don't know if I have kidney stones as of right now. I just had bloodwork yesterday to check my kidney function. I'm wondering if there is any certain foods to avoid that are hard on your kidneys.  Caffeine?
3 Responses
I make stones all the time, but the foods I try and stay away from are:

-yes caffeine
-if you make oxalate stones-stay away from dark green leafy vegetables,chocolate,tea,nuts
-any kind of vitamins in excess amounts can give you stones
-if you make calcium stones do not stray away from calcium totally, just eat the norm, cutting it out totally can cause stones as well
-how I look at it, the darker it is whether drink or food, the harder the kidney works to metabolize it

I hope this helps you a little.  If I was to say drink a glass of tea, I always follow it with water to help wash it out of the kidney a little easier
872485 tn?1240607162
Thanks.  I'm a regular coffee drinker and lately coffee has been making me feel nauseous after drinking it. Don't really know what to make of that, but I think I'm going to start weaning myself off it.
805104 tn?1242338271

I love coffee,, and nuts and chocolate..boohoo!!

I did once, very successfully wean myself off full fat coffee and eventually got onto decaf...not without all the withdrawal symptoms though...now back on the full stuff again...

Shall we start a decaf diet together Eliza??

A very good friend of mine suggested replacing one cup of ordinary coffee a day with decaf, go on like this until you are back on decaf all together...sounds like a plan to me!!

Take care,
love Sam x
Have an Answer?
Top Digestive Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem