Aa
A
A
A
Close
Medullary Sponge Kidney Disease (MSK) Community
515 Members

Frustrated

I was just diagnosed in October with MSK. I was sent to a urologist in july of 07 after multiple treatments and recurring UTI's. At that time he performed a urinary diverticulotomy. Well in Nov. he performed a pyleoplasty on the left kidney. Well time rocked on and had stone removal and stent retrieval and was told to lose weight (320 lbs at this time). So in May of 08 I had gastric bypass, big mistake. After I lost 80 lbs or so I had a cat scan for the flank pain to confirm another stone, well this time I was told I had MSK. No 24 hr urine, no blood tests, nothing but the CT. Anyway I guess my question is should I find a kidney Dr. because I personally feel like a brisket and am tired of being cut on and lithotripsied. I am also wondering if low potassium is part of this disease.
3 Responses
489228 tn?1291535054
MSK is basically a birth defect in your collecting ducts.
This is a good newbie article on MSK, so it won't delete it I will have to put a space in there, remove the space to use the link:

Hope this helps answer you questions,
Shelly
http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/pdf/    MedullarySpongeKidney.pdf
168348 tn?1379360675
COMMUNITY LEADER
WELCOME to our community.  I am so so sorry you have having so many problems but you are in the right place.  Lots of veteran members here and newbies who are here to help you!

Not sure on the potassium, but Urocit  K many of us take who make calcium oxalate stones.  have they sent your stones out to see what kind they are?

A good Uro or a Nephro is the way to go and sometimes it takes a few to find the "right one".

C~
592774 tn?1325397342
Welcome and sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Definitely try to get in with a neprologist if you can. They are more interested in preventing more stones and the overall health of your kidneys, where a uro is more able to deal witht structural problems and obstructions.
Have an Answer?
Top Digestive Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem