Life expectancy
What is the life expectancy of someone with severe msk?
Medullary sponge kidney is a condition in which cysts develop in the urine collecting ducts and tubules of one or both kidneys. The exact cause is not known. The common symptoms are pain in the back, haematuria, excessive amount of calcium in the urine. Medullary sponge kidney disease may be asymptomatic in most people .Few people may have a UTI or kidney stone. UTIs and kidney stones share many of the same symptoms.MSK is suspected in patients with repeated UTIs or kidney stones. An x ray called an intravenous pyelogram can help confirm the diagnosis. No treatment can get rid of cysts in the affected kidneys. In a person who has MSK, treatment mainly focuses on curing existing infection, removing any stones if present and preventing future urine infection and stone formation. Dietary changes and adequate intake of fluids may be helpful. It is best to consult an urologist and get your doubts clarified. Discuss your concerns with your treating doctor and do write to me again.
Best luck and regards!
I've been told that only 1% of the MSK population will have serious issues.
I have MSK, and that is incorrect, not true at all..My life and many many others lives are complete hell.. Many surgeries, infections and stones.
I agree with Shaybabe1 my life is hell with MSK!!! And I mean GELL!!! Caused me to have THREE YES THREE CHILDREN PREMATURELY!!!