Medullary Sponge Kidney Disease (MSK) Community
515 Members

Pain from stones

I have moderate pain on my right side all the time. I have even worse pain at times when I pass a stone on my right or left side. I have been passing stones since I was 14.  I am now 37.  My urologist says I have MSK on the right side.  My latest CT shows multiple stones in both kidneys more in the lower pole of the left kidney without obstruction.  Stones in lower pole of right Kidney measuring 2X3mm.  More than one stone in lower pole of left kidney measuring 5X3mm.  No hydronephrosis. No inflammatory process.  But why do I have so much pain on my right side??  I had an IVP done a few months ago, which stated a slight tortuous ureter on the right side.  My urologist recommended a urethral dilatation might help the pain on my right side?  Based on my CT you would think my pain would be on the left side daily but it’s not, it’s on my right side.  I just need some answers and a good doctor to figure this out, as I don’t believe I’m a textbook patient anymore.   .
COMMUNITY LEADER
Welcome to our community .. keep asking questions ... I am sure others wills top by to help.  We are all so different and so is this MSK .. the docs don't really know too too much about it oftentimes.

C~
I have recently started seeing a nephrologist! He says I do not have MSK but I am a stone former an have several stones in both kidney. Largest stones 3 in left kidney measure of 5mm an growing. I have several small stones in both measuring under 2mm. The last IVP indicates no obstruction an no change in hydronephrosis. I have a lot of pain on my right side. The IVP indicates I have two 90 degree bends in my ureter an my kidney drains but a lot slower than my left. With that said, I have had several IVP done in the last 20 years and I have not ever had a crooked right uereter. I believe my last urologist did this to my urerter during my last stint placement or removal. Has anyone heard of this happening? I have passed stones for years an only had pain with the stone but this pain is everyday an only on my right side.
COMMUNITY LEADER
We welcome you to stay with us on the community anyway ... stones are stones and you've been through so much .. we are here for you.

C~
I have a very tortuous right ureter. My nephrologist is not sure if that could cause pain. I have lots of stones in both kidneys but my left side only hurts when I pass a stone. My right side hurts all day everyday, I even have a numb feeling at times in my back but still feel the pain on right side. My urine is dark then light then dark then light an sometimes clear. My ua are normal, no kidney infection, etc. The only other thing is that my urine has a foul odor from time to time!
Does anyone know if a crooked ureter can cause pain or can be fixed?
Sorry, I have never heard of a crooked ureter but after my 2 month experience with a stent I wouldn't be surprised if that caused it.  Have you tried to take any flomax?  Flomax is used to treat prostate issues in men but works wonderfully on ureter pain when passing a stone.  I've been told that it relaxes the ureters .  I keep a bottle of it wherever I go.  If the ureter is causing the pain, it may help until you can get it fixed.
Good Luck!